Recover all partitions after format

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by LucaLuca, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LucaLuca

LucaLuca Registered Member

Hi :)
    I would like to ask you a question about Paragon's products. I want to make a complete copy of my hard disk where I have installed Windows 8 64 bit edition, but it has six partitions (some are recovery partitions or reserved by the operating system). In future I want to restore all of them in the same memory support. If I format my disk (only ONE partition), then the restore will automatically create the six partitions with their content? Or I have to recreate manually them and only after do the recovery?

I ask you to indicate me which product satisfy my needs :)

Best Regards

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm not mother tongue :)

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

If you create a backup of the whole disk and save it on an external drive, then later you can restore at any time: entire disk, any partition, separate files. Previously format disk where you want to restore the disk or partition is not necessary.
    Sorry for my English.

3. LucaLuca

Thank you for your reply!

I have to format the disk because I need to install another operating system! But I want to mantain a backup of the old one in case of problems :rolleyes:

Also Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free (see link) will recreate everything, also the division in the six partitions, or only the paid version? Can you link me the right product?

4. fireworker

Uh .. this is for me a difficult question.
    Backup & Recovery 2013 Free seemingly suitable program for your task ... But!
    You probably GPT-style disc, and UEFI with Secure Boot. In this case restoring the entire drive using BR13, I think the system will refuse to boot :( But if you restore only one partition, I think everything will be OK.
    But I'm not sure, since I have no experience with BR13 UEFI, so that would not venture.
    I think you better put here a screenshot of your disk dskmgmt, with marked on partition you want to format and ..
    wait answer from more experienced user BR13.

5. LucaLuca

So which of the Paragon's product do you suggest me? Also paid versions I mean!

Thanks

6. fireworker

Judging by the description, B&R13free full suited for your task. There says that is fully supported win8 and GPT. But no mention of Secure Boot. As I understand in Secure Boot for correct restore need WinPEx64. You can create WinPE of B&R13free with magnificent SIW2's tool.
    Somewhat strange to buy a whole set of tools to perform only one simple operation.
    But if you expect to perform in the future and other various operations then HDM14 i think cope with any.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thank you. I am glad you like it.:)

But the tool is only for making native 64 bit winpe. You would need 64 bit paragon files. Free Paragon versions only come in 32 bit so far. :(

Maybe B&R Free 2014 will be 64 bit coded.

8. fireworker

Hi SIW2! Thanks for the development of ParPE.
    And 32-bit SD BR13free correctly restore UEFI GPT disk happen to know?
    (I didn't check on anything, don't have now UEFI)

9. fireworker

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks, I will check it out. Always useful to recommend on the forums.

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Have I missed something?

Paragon seem to have forgotten to include a recovery media builder in B&R Free 2014.

The average Joe won't know the linux isos are there, let alone have any idea what to do with them.

12. fireworker

Maybe not forgotten but have not yet completed the? No help-file, no pdf-manual, nothing on the web page. Although all the main functions of the program seems to be working correctly.

13. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, I have tested it. The backup and restore works well.

The general public have no hope of restoring if they can't create boot media. Quite bizarre. If it is there, it certainly isn't obvious.

14. wptski

wptski Registered Member

That product has been around so long, how could they leave that out?? o_O

15. fireworker

Looks like it was an accident, not an official release.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  16. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

f you click 'User Manual' you are asked to download the manual through 'Help > About'. This link directed me to a page without the B&R2014 Free Manual. If you use the URL http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/index.html you come to the appropriate page. From the menu at the left side you can choose 'User Manual' and you'll find a d/l link for 'Backup & Recovery 2014 Free Manual'.

After a quick scan through the manual I did not find any information telling me that the ..\Program Files\iso has two Linux iso files. Page 12 reads: Please use Recovery Media Builder to prepare Paragon's recovery environments on CD/DVD, flash, or in an ISO-image. You can get it here: www.paragon-software.com/my-account/.

Yes, indeed a bit confusing to a new user of Paragon's products.

17. fireworker

Maybe Paragon is still not aware of this confusing? Somebody write them? (I will not, in recent Russian support very long wait answer)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.