Recover a corrupted backup? (.tib)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ether_real, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ether_real

ether_real Registered Member

Here is exactly my problem:

I was backing up a friends laptop because it was in desperate need of formatting. I used Acronis TrueImage 11 to create an image and save it to my NAS.

Once I got the laptop back up and running, I mounted the .tib file like always, when I came up against a problem: I could not access some of the files due to permissions conflict. I remounted the .tib file in read/write mode so that I could take ownership of the needed folder. After about an hour of changing all the individual permissions for each file and subfolder, explorer crashed.

So I rebooted the system, and now there is two files: backup.tib and backup2.tib. (I assume that backup2.tib is the incremental backup file).

If I try to mount either file, I get the following message in Acronis TI 11:

"The selected file is not an Acronis True Image Home archive."

In a True Image Home 2009 trial I installed on a different PC, I get:

"Acronis True Image Home backup archive file is corrupted. If the backup is an image, you may try to restore the data from it by mounting the image and restoring intact data."

If I press OK, it does not mount the image, so this message is a bit confusing.

How can I recover the data off this archive?

2. ether_real

ether_real Registered Member

OK, $10 in paypal for anyone that can help me recover this data.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The second file is likely the incremental created to capture the changes in R/W mode since TI does not modifiy the original archive file.

There is a chance it is screwed up because of the crash. One of the last things TI does when it creates an archive is write metadata describing the archive in the last volume and it is likely this isn't present which is why TI says it isn't a TI archive.

Try changing the name or copying the incremental out of the folder so TI can't see it. It should then put you back to where you were with the original archive file.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ether_real and seekforever,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

ether_real, if the program still fails to create a valid backup file, please submit a request to Acronis Customer Service Department here

We will find the reason.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.