recommended settings for resident scanner ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Unity, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unity

Unity Registered Member

I'm currently using AVK single engine version , and i'm trying to limit the impact
    on my system as much as i can. That's why i m trying to figure what filetype i should absolutly add in my resident scanner.

On the avast forum , Technical has posted the following list for Avast :

BAT,CHM,CMD,COM,CPL,CRT,DLL,EXE,HTA,HTM*,INF,INS,ISP,JS,JSE,LNK,
    MSC,MSG,MSI,OCX,PIF,REG,SCR,SCT,SHB,SHS,SYS,VBE,VBS,WS?,WSC,WSF,WSH

I've added Jpg on that list.

Is that list ok for a good overall protection ? , something i should add ? remove ?

Thanks for your advices :)

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I think I'd use HT* rather than HTA and HTM* (because there are HTT/HTA/HTM/HTML files), JP* rather than JPG (because there are JPG/JPE/JPEG), and VB* rather than VBE and VBS (for VB/VBE/VBS). And add: DOC, DOT, EML, INI, PDF, RTF, SWF, THEME, URL. Others you may want to add, depending on what software you run, would be ASP, CGI, and PHP. If you run Win9x/Me, add VXD.

3. Unity

Unity Registered Member

Thank you for the reply Nameless , for the Jpg issue , i've added jpg and jpeg , i've yet to see a *.jpe but anyway you are right *.jp makes more sense ;)

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

5. Unity

Unity Registered Member

well actually , i believe it's *.jp? in the AVK resident scanner :)
    at least that's how i've set it , and it seems to work ^^

6. ?WATERS

?WATERS Guest

HI .i also have an issue with system slow down .can you tell me if by useing these settings ,this resolves the issue, also am i fully protected by applieing these settings

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Are you both using older pcs ?. I have no impact on my system with extendia. I do not have another anti virus on my system though . I shoot up to RAV online now and again. I do not run with a anti trojan real time scanner . I have not limited extendia in any way ( default settings)

8. ?waters

?waters Guest

athlon 2400 ram 512.
    used kav 5 with no slowdown. no other anti virus or trojan scanner.
    Extendia single engine slows system to a crawl.i use reg seeker,window washer and defrag system.It even slows down games like bookworm.

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

well im on dell xp and half your ramz and its fine . Thats weird . Is there some other software that it may be slowing down with ? I remember back some time ago I had that issue . I actually dumped a few extra security apps and reloaded windows with the more simple set up and now it works fine . I have a lite firewall ( look n stop) TDS3 (on demand) spywareblaster and Ad-awareSE plus and Processguard and extendia singleKAV ( default settings)
    and it flows well .

You have webwasher ..I noticed a thread today by Bellgamin saying that webwasher seemed to be slowing him down https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=323119

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  10. ?waters

?waters Guest

Sorry ,my mistake ,its window washer i have.At the moment i have kav 5 on.I have uninstalled extendia untill i hear a way of setting it up.I know it was cheap but now i have paid for it i would like to use it. what i cant understand is if i set kav realtime to max my computer is fine .with extendia it slows down.I have xp pro. No other security programmes except ad aware. I also clean up after removing software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.