recommended programs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ice60, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ice60

ice60 Guest

this site has grown very quickly, i last went to it about a month ago and, unless i did something wrong, it looked to only have about 10/5 programs. i have had a quick look through the programs and haven't seen anything bad at all. there are some Bittorrents, which some security people don't like, but otherwise everything looks really really good.
    http://popular.myprogs.net/

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

It's an interesting concept. I would be just a tad bit skeptical that it does not function mainly as a marketing/market analysis tool.

I have not looked at it closely though. If it were to actually contain information tips and tricks of various programs, and some way to assess the usefulness that would be good.

do i understand the concept? you would use it this way. user A has very good programs of the ones I know, therefore, the ones he has that I don't know are good too?

Or is the concept that you are happy to acknowledge the programs that have served you well? (After all people do like to recommend what they like)

-HandsOff

3. ice60

ice60 Guest

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

ice60

Looks kinda neat - I like it

5. ice60

ice60 Guest

it's good - social bookmarking. i haven't actually signed up to any yet, but there are a group of people who's bookmarks i follow on various sites. for me it's great, i go to one of the sites, find someone whos bookmarks i know i like then just click away to some of the best sites i've been to. :D

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Yep

there are some good programs that might be hard to find in other ways

7. ice60

ice60 Guest

8. HandsOff

Ice60 et al-

This could be excellent. I am a little hesitant to try new things. in fact the RSS revolution has completely passed me by.

Amber seems very sweet. Is that a mouse she dropping in the fishtank?

- HandsOff

9. ice60

ice60 Guest

RSS, Podcasts, Vlogs, et al, oh and this - social bookmarking are great and well worth having a look at.

10. ice60

ice60 Guest

she's "dunking her Ipod" in a fish tank :eek: i'm at work, so i have to go :'( i haven't missed your other post about Locate32.

I'm going home to London abit later, i'm so happy :D :D :D

11. HandsOff

While I can't quite say that I use any of these, I am continously trying to upgrade my knowledge. At the moment, my outdated mode of thinking includes such thoughts as:

RSS...If I want to know then I will go look for it myself.

Podcasts...If I want to hear it, I will steal it for myself! Not steal, did I say steal? It is not stealing to (it gets a bit technical here, but not all recording of music is illegal. I have been told that shifting to automated recording, identifying, naming and storing of....) do what I do...if I did it...which of course I don't...and anyway it was Iceni's idea in the first place...

VLogs...A screensaver that shows a log burning in the fireplace?

Social Bookmarks! - I feel the raw power of this medium. The first bookmark out of the gates was one called "BugMeNot.com". My first reaction was, 'How come I'm always the last one to know?'. My second reaction was, 'Hold on, Baby, Your on the bleeding edge now!'

- HandsOff

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

did you see this thread? although i tried not to utter the taboo words podcast or RSS feeds because i feel certain everyone is turned off by them and will stop dead in their tracks to click on somewhere else; well, that's exactly what the thread is all about.

it seems no one is curious to even try RSS, podcasting et al, or they tried them once, and oddly disliked them, never to go back o_O. which i can't believe.

do you have Opera? if, RSS, podcasting, Vlogs (Video Blogs :D) etc only hold the tiniest of interest, but you think there might be some potential, try subscribing to a feed and give it abit of time to make up your mind. i had tried Opera a couple of times before i gave it a proper go. now, i love Opera.
    try Seti's podcast and see what you think.

13. HandsOff

Hi Iceni-

I like the idea, but sadly, there is nothing that I am interested in being kept informed about. Well, almost nothing. The thing is, I get about as many notifications as I can deal with.

One of my interests is finding programs that work better than the ones I am using. But I've only found a handful that I continue to use, though.

I have the hardest time learning how to use most programs. Graphics Playground is a site that will help you learn how to use graphics programs. There are definitely some I'd like to learn.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.