Recommendations for Program Updates in Corporate Environment?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mdornfeld, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdornfeld

mdornfeld Registered Member

We are currently running v3 of the Nod32 business AV in a corporate environment. I see that Eset releases new builds (minor releases) on a regular basis. We currently have automatic program updates turned off.

Question 1:
    Is the recommendation from Eset to only update minor releases when we're experiencing an issue that the minor release resolves, or should be rolling out every minor release that Eset releases?

Question 2:
    What is the preferred method of corporate rollout of updates for other admins? Do you use another installer package, do you send out a new configuration to have computers do the update on their own and after they're updated, send out another configuration, or do you use ESET's built-in push installation.

Thank you for your help.

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

We currently only roll out minor revisions if there was a specific issue that was resolved or some kind of improvement to the scanning engine. It is rather silly to push updates for new versions if it isn't going to fix a problem you are having. As for the actual deployment, I set up a client how I want it and then export its configuration out to an xml file. Name it cfg.xml. Then put that xml file in the same network share as as the .msi installation package and create a GPO that will install the program to your systems. The installer will automatically read the contents of that xml file and apply the settings.

3. mdornfeld

mdornfeld Registered Member

Thank you Smacky for the helpful reply.

For anyone else interested, I also got an official reply from ESet Support which said:
    "Newer releases of our software are not critical unless you experience issues with the current version you are using. We reccomend [sic] updating when a major release comes out, example: 2.7 to 3.0."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.