Recommendation on this change

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Cherub, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. Not terribly knowledgable about computers but here is my question.

I run the Zone Alarm security suite and my license is about up. In reading this board, I have seen numerous recommendations for Kaspersky suite. What are your opinions on changing from Zone Alarm to Kaspersky?

If I was to change, would there be any other products I could get that would enhance my security due to the opinions that the firewall in Kaspersky is not as good as others?

I do have a router, which I use as there are 3 computers hooked up to the same cable internet provider.

I'm pretty poor in knowing about the security details, which is one of the reasons I like the idea of a "all in one" type product.

I run Windows XP Home.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I have already received a lot of knowledge from this board, it's very good...now if I can just figure out what y'all are talking about. lol

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You could also consider running seperate security programs.
    Comodo free firewall,AntiVir or Avast free antivirus.
    Free antispyware and anti trojan programs.SAS,AVG Antispyware,A-Squared are 3 that are available.

One constant theme with Kaspersky is that they have one of the top antivirus programs.

3. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks. One other question, is running an app like System Mechanic 6 worth it or are there better free products that will do the same thing. This program seems to sap a lot of my computers resources.

4. the Tester

I'm not familiar with System Mechanic.
    I use Ace Utilities and I think it's definitely worth using.
    The only free program that comes to mind is CCleaner.You'd have to look at the website and compare the features to System Mechanic.

http://www.ccleaner.com/features.aspx

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I like NOD32 as my antivirus/antimalware. It not only prevents viruses but also a ton of spyware too.

Comodo makes a free Firewall that is top notch.

Simply running NOD32 and Comodo would give you pretty good potection. Other than that, you could pick up a designated Antispyware application such as Spysweeper, Spyware Doctor, or Super Antispyware. Or you could consider a free HIPS application like Process Guard.

It all depends on your surfing habits and what level of computer expertise you have.

I think the following set up would be pretty airtight:

Comodo (free firewall)
    Process Guard free
    Nod32

6. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

If I ran the Kaspersky Internet Suite 6, turned off their firewall and used the Comodo firewall, do you think that would be good enough?

I mainly surf sports,banking,news sites with the occasional "adult" site.

Also, I guess it's possible to use the Kaspersky Suite and be able to turn off the firewall, right?

7. ejr

ejr Registered Member

If you weren't doing the occasional adult site I would say that this would be fine. As you do though perdiodically hit the adult sites, I would add another anti-spyware application or maybe a HIPS program.

8. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

OK, I don't know what a HIPS program is. Do you have any suggestions at ones that I can get? Any free programs.

My knowledge, until looking over this site, was really confined to Anti-Spam,anti-virus and firewalls.

When you say Add another anti-spyware, would that be to run at the same time as my first one, or would that be more like a program to run periodically in addition to the one that constantly runs.

Want to say, I really appreciate all the responses. I'm learning a lot but I fear I still have a ways to go. lol

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

You can learn a little about HIPS here http://kareldjag.over-blog.com/article-1841115.html
    Scroll down to the bottom, there is a mini Q & A to get you started, then at the very bottom you will see a link for "HIPS: The Top List", click on that link and you will get a whole list of HIPS programs.

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

HIPS= Host Intrusion Prevention System

Among other things, a HIPS program prevents unauthorized .exe programs from running on your computer. It can somewhat act as a Firewall for your executeable programs. But most HIPS programs do require at least a little bit of user interaction. So if you are completely not computer savvy, many HIPS applications will simply scare you.

I might try adding the free version of process guard to Comodo and KAS Internet Security. That combo would be prettty secure in my opnion. Though I am no expert.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah if you are looking for all-in-one security then kaspersky is excellent. However if you are looking for maximum protection then standalone products would be best.

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I agree. All in one product and only one; kaspersky is good. But I would recommend you build your own secruity suite with your own selection of well thought out product selections. One size does not fit all. ;)

13. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks again to everybody. Lots of information and I'll go over all of it and see what I can do. Really,really appreciate it.

14. noway

noway Registered Member

Why don't you just get Kaspersky Antivirus instead of Kaspersky Internet Security? (I use an older version, KAV 4.5 Personal Pro myself)

For software firewall, try Zonealarm Free 6.1.744.001 which many find very stable and easy to use.

15. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Like noway said you can purchase Kaspersky Antivirus seperately, you don't have to buy the Kaspersky suite and disable the firewall. It would save you some money. But if you do get the kaspersky suite I see no reason not to use the whole suite instead of disabling part of it and using a different firewall. As far as suites go I think Kaspersky is the only one I would buy right now. Like a lot of people here I like to build my own suite with separate apps. There are so many options available now it takes some time to find what you need. Maybe it is easier to rule out the ones you definately don't want and then choose from what is left.

16. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Over the weekend, I bought the Kaspersky Suite from COMPUSA. With the rebate it is only going to cost $10. But, if the Comodo firewall is better than Kaspersky, how do I disable the Kaspersky firewall when I install it and set up the Commodo one?

Also, I saw another thread on this, but I have been using the AOL Active Security Monitor and when I tried the Commodo firewall, it didn't register. It seems for others, that the AOL stuff isn't very good and this doesn't mean that the firewall is working, so what kind of site has a test to run to make sure the firewall is working? And it is worth it to run the active security monitor or should I just uninstall it?

Hope that all makes sense. lol In conclusion, I was thinking of installing the Kaspersky suite, disabling the firewall and using Commodo but using the Kaspersky AV and anti-spam features. Think that would be a good enough security system?

17. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Wow that is a great price for the Kaspersky Suite. I believe the Kaspersky firewall and Comodo firewall are very equal in terms of protection and deciding between the two would be a matter of preference. I don't have the Kaspersky suite installed on any of my machines right now. Just the Kaspersky AV so I can't help you to turn off the firewall, but someone here will help you soon I am sure. My friend insists on using AOL and The AOL Active Security thing seems to be more trouble than it is worth on his computer. I would recommend unistalling it as it doesn't seem to be working right for you anyway.

I have some first hand knowledge with aol and It is not good in any way. I allowed my friend to use my oldest computer and install the latest aol version with all the security stuff and within 2 months the computer gradually began to slow down and freeze up at times requiring a hard reboot. It got to the point that I had to restore the drive with my imaging software and then I refused to put aol on it again and now 4 months later it is running good still. My friends new laptop is about 8 months old and is now having serious issues it freezes requiring him to remove the battery and it takes over five minutes to boot. I asked him if he did anything weird with it lately and he said he installed all aol security stuff mcafee. He keeps telling me that aol is good because they are security conscious and I have tried to tell him otherwise, but now I just say ok whatever.

I have 3 computers now and all of them are running great like new and he has 2 laptops the one I just spoke of is not well and he has another toshiba laptop that died in a very similar way. It became unresponsive and finally wouldn't boot. It seems all of the computers with aol deteriorated in the same way until eventually they became unusable. He sent the toshiba out for a new hard drive. Yet he still insists on using aol. Oh well as you can tell I don't care much for aol and I have good reason for it.

18. the Tester

19. muf

muf Registered Member

I don't think there is any suite out there that has a firewall that can match the best out and out firewall application's. But i've recently installed Kaspersky Security Suite 6. The firewall in this is easily sufficient for your needs. I've tested it at Shieldsup, PCFlank and Sygate and it was full stealth. I was previously using the free version of Zonealarm and a couple of ports were reported open. I re-tested these ports with KIS6 and they were stealthed. The AV is probably the best AV you can get. KIS6 also has proactive defence(HIPS), Antispy(Consists of Anti-Phishing, Popup blocker, Anti-Banner and Anti-Dialer). It also has an intuitive Anti-Spam which learns as you go along what you deem is spam or not. So after a little while everything spam will go straight to your spam folder and the only things hitting your in-box should be 'wanted' e-mails.

Personally, I don't think you need to disable the firewall module in KIS6 and install a seperate firewall.

Oh and the whole suite with everything enabled only uses 9mb of ram. That is very impressive.

muf

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Nice 9mb. shouldnt antihacker be improved in MP1?
    lodore

21. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Sounds good muf. I'm not very knowledgable on trying to mix and match and have to admit, I like the idea of one security suite. I should get my Kaspersky suite in the mail tomorrow and try it out. Thanks to everybody for all the input, really appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.