Recommendation for free privacy program

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by steverope, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverope

steverope Registered Member

Hi, I'm looking for a free program that is simple and easy to use, to just make a folder private(pictures, ccinfo, passwords) I'm not looking for a password vault, just a way to keep my roomates from veiwing my personal folders, while still having access to use my computer while I'm not home. The more simple tha better........I don't need it to encrypt emails or anything, just a folder or two. Any suggestions much appreciated. Fr Steve

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I seem to remember using a tool called folder lock which was ok at the time, however it has probably been inproved since. I think it ran in the system tray and a password was needed to close the tool down or change any of its settings. It allowed you to make files or folders invisible or folders locked, I think. If I remember right, the same password was used as your windows logon.

Might want to give it a go.

Jimbob

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Dony PGP make a variety of tools, or have done previously?

Jimbob

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

6. Blackspear

7. steverope

Thanks, I am also wondering about how to wipe the data that is still stored after I have deleted it, I ran a program called tuneup utilities 2000, which is pretty darn useful to add, but the it shows me a whole pile of deleted data and files, and offers tha ability to restore the data, but not to get rid of it.......I mean, damn I deleted it from the recycle bin for a reason, and some of it is recordings that are not meant to be released, or I can get major crap for still having them.......any suggestions for getting rid of the stuff I've already deleted? Thanks Fr Steve

8. steverope

Hi, I just found a program called Easy cripto delux from handy bits, and it seems absolutely great, for free, pls let me know of any experiences with this program.....Thanks, Fr Steve

9. Blackspear

10. steverope

Sorry, I thought that I posted a reply to some advice, and didn't want to miss any thoughts on it.....point well taken :) Fr Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.