recommend me a firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AH786, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sygate seems pretty good, but it was the heaviest on CPU usage of all the firewalls I've tried. That plus the inability to filter out some of the logged entries was annoying for me...

2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

You havent tried Norton, have you?

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I used to have Norton Personal Firewall 2003 I believe. It was one of the first firewalls I ever used, along with Sygate.

I have pretty much rid myself of all Norton products except Norton Utilities. I also used to use Norton AV. But after many problems with both and update problems and so on, I now refuse to use either. They both seem to be bloated and very invasive on the system. Uninstalling either sometimes screwed up weird things in the OS. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone now.

Perhaps others have had better experiences though...

4. Diver

Diver Guest

You have a hardware firewall. Why bother with outbound application control? It will make you fel good to know what is going on, but all of the really nasty exploits will get around it by using authorized processes. Have fun setting up all the rules.

5. anti

anti Guest

I really like kaspersky anti hacker firewall.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you have an antivirus it should catch any malware trying to bypass your software firewall. Or do you like the idea that with no soft firewall there is nothing to prevent a trojan from leaving a computer and on to yours. I like the idea of a firewall at least trying to stop malware from leaving a computer and possibly trying to get on mine.

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

hmm...
    If you want a real IDS... SNORT is the way to go.
    Tiny Firewall is a top notch product that is scary to use(tway too complicated for most people)
    I'd say armor2Net gives you decent outbound/inbound control (NOT protection, just control)
    and maybe you'd like to check out F-secure 2005 .... brilliant AV, amazing firewall, light, wonderful looks... I haven't used it yet (online installation - I hate those)

8. shoe

shoe Registered Member

9. no13

snort is more customizable
    snort has a better online community
    snort can give you 0-day protection
    snort is free....
    But I fear IDS/IPS discussions are not part of firewall discussions...
    I say take Kerio v2... no one cares to attack its peculiar weaknesses anymore, and DSLR has a real nice config pack and community for it. Light and nice, it was... No official support for 2x tho'

10. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Tell me what specific bit of malware gets by every personal firewall available.
    -

11. WORMAY

WORMAY Registered Member

12. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I came accross this FW - Firewall 2004 by WyvernWorks. Low on resources useage (about 4500K ), and does well on PCFlank tests, Sygate, etc.

Anyone have any comments about this one?

13. Diver

Diver Guest

First of all, to ask for an example of malware that will get past every personal FW with outbound application control is unreasonable. All it takes is the ability to get past them a substantial amount.

For starters over at the firewall test site where all of the various leak tests are applied to firewalls it can be seen that outbound application control is far from perfect. I do realize that some FW's are better than others, i particular Look n Stop. Some people have also said that the author of LNS makes updates to deal with these tests specifically.

If you have your AV set up to scan outbound mail it will be the application authorized to sent mail out onto the Internet. Your AV will intercept the mail sent by a trojan and forward it on past the FW. I have noticed this behavior with Kerio 2.15 as no rule was required for my mailer when the AV was scanning outbound mail. Of course your AV should find this trojan.

Perhaps your question should have been what malware that also makes an Internet connection gets past every AV?

14. no13

Nope... not many people have installed it as of date...
    Can you put a list of documented features a (and a couple of screenshots)??

15. stefan_c38

stefan_c38 Registered Member

Not so good.
    I get the "end process" dialog at shutdown.My pc is slow.
    Maybe he does well on test because you are using a proxy?

16. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Attached Files:

17. Diver

Diver Guest

I tried Wyvernworks FW and could not get it to pass Shields Up. IMO there are three good general purpose free personal firewalls out there: Zone Alarm, Sygate and Kerio 2.15. Not one of them is perfect, but each will fit a different style of user.

Remember, I said general purpose, before anyone jumps on me for leaving out CHX-1 or something else like that.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Excuse a dummy, but what is wrong with Zone Alarm? I know some that use it, and are happy with it. I am going to have to choose one when my new machine comes in.
    I have Kerio 2.15 on my computer now, and don't know if I will put that on my new one. I haven't had trouble with it. I am a real novice, so I do not understand the comments about the complexity of Kerio when I had no problems. I just downloaded a copy of Kerio 2.15 so that I can install it before I use the new machine on the web. I was really thinking of ZA.

Jerry

19. S!x

S!x Registered Member

I would only recommend 3 software firewalls:

1. Agnitum Outpost Pro 2.5
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

2. Look n Stop 2.05
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/looknstop.htm

3. Zonealarm Pro
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/download/index2_11071.html

Personally i like Outpost ... it has the best component control of the three (IMO) and is the easiest to configure rules and add blocked applications to.
    Although ZA is probably the best for a Novice (easy setup) ... and L&S is probably the best all around, but it's not for the novice or intermediate users.

They all have free trials ... take them out for a spin. :D

20. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I have been using Jetico on older computer running XP Home SP-2. No problems so far & passes Shields Up & PC Flank tests. Minimal resource useage - about 3200k VM.

21. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Well if you have tried everything else and cant find an option perhaps you could try Bitguard personal firewall http://www.tryus.dk/bitguard.asp

When the firewall is set to "Run only configured programs" it is capable of passing all leak tests but more importantly a very secure firewalll

22. Diver

Diver Guest

Firewall Test Notes:

Jetico: Promising, but needs work. Ask again in a few months.

ZA Pro: Easy to use, medium on menory use. However, it is difficult to really tighten up with expert rules.

ZA Fre: Good for non technical user. Does not work with file sharing on a network. Medium on resources.

Outpost Pro: Uses more resources than any other firewall. On an older machine that I use for testing purposes, it slowed it down to a crawl.

Sygate Free: Very nice. Can be used on a network with sharing by adding one expert rule for inbound traffic on port 139 from remotes on yhour network ports 1024-5000. Easier than ZA pro to add expert rules to applications.

Kerio 2.15: Rule based firewall that is very light on memory. Good support over at DSLR along with a nice starter rule set. Does not have sandboxing like some newer code, but you can add process guard, if that kind of thing causes you worries. If you understand how rule based firewalls work, this one is actually easy to use compated to most others.

8Signs/Visnetic: For experts only. No application control, but may be appropriate for a gateway wher eapplication control is not workable.

Widows SP@: Despite all the anti Microsoft sentiment, this will keep worms out of your machine. At the application level the only thing it will do is prevent progams from acting as servers.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would make one comment on that Diver.. I found Outpost Pro to use a lot of ram, but not too bad on cpu usage at all. Sygate, however, was the worst of all the firewalls I've tried on cpu usage. Otherwise I like Sygate. Outpost Pro let's you filter the logs nicely, something I wish Sygate had. So I guess what I'm saying is that I would recommend Outpost Pro over Sygate Pro. :)

24. ByTE

ByTE Guest

NetCom - http://www.routix.net/netcom/

25. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Hmm, this thread has certainly gone off topic. Let me add some fuel.

Though I really like Tiny 6 and Kerio 2, I'll have to deploy Outpost in my wife's machine (and possibly her company) coz she's always asking me why she can't connect to the print server, and MSN messanger giving her alot of grief with Kerio. I fear TPF2005's sandboxing will further drive her (hmm, maybe that's a good idea) and everybody in her company up the wall. Furthermore I don't have time to attend to her woes. Enough problems of my own.

Outpost's free upgrades look interesting. Offer ends Jan 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.