Recommend external speakers for my dell

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I have a dell xps 1530 laptop. The speakers are crap and I cant hear the dialogue when watching dvds, so Id like to buy a set of external speakers, so any recommendations?

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you want real quality sound, make sure you have a good sound card, and then go to the THX website, and pick any THX certified speakers. You will have the best.

Pete

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Dell XPS M1530 supports 5.1 speaker system. Get any good quality 5.1 system and the sound output will blow you away. I recommend logitech speakers as they are affordable and output great sound for the price.

p.s. I hope you got the creative sound blaster audigy advanced MB software based sound enhancer with M1530, as without that the basic on board audio gives just a basic output sound.

5. Dregg Heda

Hi Raza,

I cant remember if I got the creative sound blaster since the laptop is two years old. I might not have as I was trying to save cash. All I really want is to be able to hear dialogue clearly. Will the ps 210, that Yeoldestonecat suggested, be able to do this, even without soundblaster? Thanks.

6. YeOldeStonecat

Those speakers will run fine on any basic sound card. Since you mentioned a laptop, I assumed you'd want something rather small, and portable, and also without requiring additional brick/wall wart external AC adapters. The term "portability" comes to mind, which is why I'm pointing you towards smaller portable speakers that are parasitic in power (get their power via USB).

If you use your laptop like a desktop computer...IE it never moves from your desk....great, go out and purchase a nicer pair of speakers...a 3.1 set even. For just watching DVDs you don't need a full surround sound 5.1 set. For full DVD surround sound experience I'd rather be on my couch anyways, watching my large screen. Not in front of a sub 20" computer monitor.

So...just think about the environment you'll be using your laptop in..is it fixed on a desk, or are you using your laptop as a laptop...meaning...portable. Do you want to be able to whip out the laptop and speakers and use them anywhere, wherever you are.

Perhaps if you want true portability, consider headphones.

7. Raza0007

Dregg Heda,

M1530's built in speakers are very low quality ones and are not recommended for serious audio experience. Since you have been using them for watching DVD's and the only complaint you have is that you can not hear the dialogues clearly then I assume your requirements are very modest and in this case you just need slightly better speakers as replacement for your built-in ones. The speakers systems mentioned by Yeoldestonecat will suffice.

I have not used any of them so I can not comment on their quality. The M1530 built in ones are "2 watts per channel into 4 ohms" ones. The AX210 are 1.2 watts and the PS210 is 2.6 watts into 4 ohms. So, I do not know whether they will be significantly better than the built-in ones.

If you want portable speakers, why don't you just use a good quality headphone?

Currently, I am using Logitech Z-640 5.1 surround sound speaker system for listing to music and watching DVD's at home. They are of course not portable. For portability I am using Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones and the Creative EP-630 earphones.

P.S. The creative audigy is a software based set of codecs and filters, not a hardware (sound blaster). It enhances the audio from your integrated Sigmatel sound chip.

8. Dregg Heda

Raza,

Does this mean the AX210 is less powerful than the built in speakers while the ps210 is more powerful?

PS: I thought the creative sound blaster was a sound card. How do I check if I have the creative audigy on the 1530? Thanks.

9. yoganaut

yoganaut Registered Member

10. YeOldeStonecat

Trust me, you'll hear them....I crank music in my office using them, and I sell them with a lot of Dells that I order for clients. For basic desktop grade speakers for basic functions, they're fine. Again, I was just suggesting them because you mention a laptop, and I'm thinking "portable"..hence my 2nd suggestion, the one designed specifically for a laptop.

Comparing watts of a pair of external speakers against watts of some internal speakers of laptops isn't a straight comparison. I have a pair of 2 watters in my Thinkpad laptop, yet they're about as good as holding a telephone 3 feet from your ears..can't hear much at all.

You still haven't told us your general usage for this laptop..if it's pretty much fixed sitting on a desk and you want to listen to music/DVDs from your desk..then by all means go for a full fledged speaker system, get a pair of Bose or Logitech or better yet... Klipsch speakers with major balls so your neighbors can hear what you're playing.

Portable vs full time setup....which one is it? The answer to this will help guide you towards a much better setup that you'll be happy with.

11. Raza0007

I guess you should go with Yeoldestonecat's recommendation as he is using these speakers and can vouch for them.

The choice of speakers depends on your personal preference, i.e portability or quality. For example, for me both AX210 and PS210 are inadequate as I use my M1530 as an entertainment center and watch DVD's, recorded TV shows and listen to music on it, so I need quality sound. So, the choice depends on your requirements and your budget.

The creative sound blaster audigy advanced MB is a software and the Dell version is specifically optimized to work with Sigmatel hardware found on Dell laptops.
    See Here http://www.creative.com/oem/products/software/audigy.asp
    See pdf Data sheet here http://www.creative.com/oem/resources/Software/AudigyAMB.pdf

If you got the software with your laptop you must have received a installation CD labeled "Creative audigy advance MB" or if you still have access to the original Dell invoice it should be listed as "Item# 313-5014 Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy"

I mentioned it because without the audigy software on my M1530 the sound feels kind of muffled or bland. I noticed the difference when I did a clean install on my Dell and did not install the audigy software. Needless to say for me at least it makes a lot of difference.

Also, if you were using the built-in speakers then I doubt any sound enhancement will make much difference as those speakers are just not powerful enough.

Like Yeoldestonecat said, tell us your preference (whether you want small portable speakers or good quality high wattage speakers) and your budget, so we can guide you better.

12. Dregg Heda

Hi Guys,

I tend to use my laptop in one fixed spot, however I want to be able to take my laptop and speakers with me whenever I leave the country, so they have to be reasonably portable. In terms of quality, I find the built in speakers to be decent when it comes to music. The only trouble Im having is that I cant seem to hear dialogue when watching TV shows. I need whatever speakers I get to be powerful enough to hear dialogue clearly. Will the ps210 be capable of doing the job?

PS: If I dont have the creative sound blaster audigy would that negatively impact the ps210's ability to produce clear dialogue?

13. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I had to buy usb external speakers since I had a similar low quality sound problem and because the audio jack is placed in front of the keyboard and could not use normal 2.1 speakers (it gets in the way when I type or use the mouse).
    I went for the Philips Soundbar SPA5210B/10 and I am very pleased with it. It does not compare with the speakers of my desktop but is fine for my needs.

Panagiotis

14. YeOldeStonecat

Those look perfect for him....I poked around the rest of that website, they make quite a few different models of portable USB speakers for laptops, some which mount on top of your screen, others that mount of the sides of the screen.

15. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i have a DELL Studio XPS 8000 with onboard HD audio and i get the LogiTech Z323 at $60 and wow the sound is unbelievable i can,t believe it im addict to listen music at my PC lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.