Recommend a good, secure wireless router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by luciddream, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm unsatisfied with this Netgear 150N I was given for free from my ISP. You can't change the default username. For "RIP Direction", in the right-hand column of the router setup screen it recommends the setting of "None", and claims it's the default. In reality "None" isn't even an option. In the drop down list the only choices are "In Only', "Out Only", and "Both". I consider these more than trivial concerns, especially the first one.

So can anyone recommend to me an alternative? I certainly want it to address the 2 issues I've mentioned above. I want it to have SPI, and of course WPA2 "only" (AES) as an encryption option. I don't want to spend more than $100 on it.

Thanks in advance.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I got that same router from Comcast. I used it until I was able to buy a Netgear N750 (aka WNDR4000). It has gigait LAN ports, 450 wireless N, WPA2, IPV6 support and many other features. It also has a bandwidth monitor, but be careful if you actually set it. I put in 1 "0" to few in the limit and it cut off my internet access. I thought I set it for 250GB and it cut off at 25. Now I just have it monitor without giving it a limit. The range seems good and I have not had a problem with it. I can also program what hours the wireless is on so I have it shut off while I am at work or asleep. It's a little pricey but overall I am pleased.

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/18164

The WNDR3800 looks like a nice product as well. It trades the 450 wireless for 300 but adds some QOS features.
    http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/18163
    Not sure that it is available yet.

Edit:
    I looked at the RIP Direction and it has the same option as yours. However it also has RIP Version and it has 1. Disabled 2. RIP_1 3. RIP_2B 4. RIP_2M Your current one probably has the same so it may actually be disabled.

Edit 2:
    I tried to find a way to change the username but I do not see one. This is not uncommon on a lot of routers. If this is a must have requirement then this may not work for you. I keep remote access off and have a good password so I am not worried about it. It is your option to feel differently.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.