Recommend a good anti-spam?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Luxeon, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I have always received good advice from you folks, so here is my question.

I have Win XP and use Outlook Express with Qurb. It does work well, but it grows tiring having to look through the Qurb file. I get probably 50 (or more!) spams a day (made a mistake a few years ago by using my e-mail address, minus the domain, as my screen name).

I just purchased Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 for an amazing price, due to my employer attaining bulk discount (I primarily needed Powerpoint, and my wife wanted Excel and some of the other goodies).
    I didn't realize that the program came with Outlook 2007.

Keep in mind that I want a fairly simple setup: I don't want to have to continually babysit things, and I definitely don't want complexity which requires a degree in computer science.

So...my choices are:

1. Stick with OE and Qurb. Yeah, it works...but I honestly don't like seeing all of that crap.

2. Use Outlook 2007: tinker with the settings to diminish spam, and perhaps add another filter such as Spambayes, K9 or Spamihilator. (those programs appear to be well-received on these forums).
    As a bonus, my wife uses Outlook at work, so she is comfortable with it.

3. Use Outlook with Qurb.

4. Try Thunderbird (I am intrigued by this option as I already use Firefox, but my research indicates that, though it is a great program, the anti-spam isn't the best, and it appears that it requires a certain amount of manual upkeep. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing some housekeeping, but I prefer to limit it, as my life is very busy).

5. Something else. I have considered Cloudmark, as it appears to be an excellent solution, but it does require even more investment.

What do you experts have to say?

Bob

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. If you try Thunderbird you may want to consider the ThunderBayes addon for more powerful spam protection.

5. Mailwasher

3. tlu

tlu Guest

4. dread

dread Registered Member

Thunderbird has the best spam filer of all time. All you have to do is create one little message filter.

tbfilterrules.png

Spampal is one free one. There is a thread on here that has lots of antispam programs listed.

Most antispam programs has this function but with Thunderbird its build in. As far as messing with the programs you will have to do upkeep and mess with the settings with all antispyware programs. Even if you get a antispyware program and add all your contacts to the white/safe list or if it has what Thunderbird has you will still have to perform upkeep by keeping your address book or white/safe list up to date. And you will have to recover any email that got trashed because you decided you wanted email from them and didn't have them in your white/safe list or address book

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, the Thunderbird spam filter is good. Nevertheless, I prefer a spam filter that doesn't only rely on an admittedly effective Bayes filter but also does, e.g, RBL and DCC checks. This increases the efficiency even more. The above mentioned Spamihilator has a Bayes filter as well but there are also many specialized highly effective plugins. All in all it recognizes more than 99% of all spam mails I'm receiving.

Unfortunately its development stopped some time ago because of health problems of its developer.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It looks like a good filter, but will move legitimate mail not in your address book. For example, today I received a ticket request from someone not in my address book for an event later this year I'm helping to organise. If I had used that filter, I wouldn't have seen it straight away.

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

8. LM1

LM1 Registered Member

K9, keir.net - the best antispam filter I've ever seen, and I've tried quite a few.

9. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, I tried it several years ago and the filter results were good. Nevertheless, what I wrote about the Thunderbird spam filter in post #5 also applies to K9, IMHO.

And there is another drawback (just as for Spampal, too): SSL is, strangely, not supported. I know, you can do it as described, e.g., here , and I had done it this way myself, but for a newbie it's not trivial. Quite frankly: An anti-spam filter that doesn't support SSL is unacceptable to me. This should be really a standard feature nowadays.

10. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Almost forgot about this thread!

I need a product which supports SSL, so that knocks out Spampal and K9 (I prefer to keep the setup simple).

So I am now looking at Outlook with Spambayes, OE with Spamihilator ot Thunderbird with Thunderbayes.

I think any of the above should provide good filtering.

11. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Have you not looked at antispamsniper yet? Supports SSl and DNSBL's and more. I use TheBat! version with 6625 messages a 2.45 error rate.

Thanks,

Chris

12. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Have to agree with WSFUser - Mailwasher, hands down. Checks mail before it's downloaded to your PC, so you can see what you're about to download without having to open your email client. Allows you to bounce, report, delete and everything else. Surely more secure than allowing the spam into your machine in the first place?

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Without doubts.

14. ASM

ASM Registered Member

Hi, I came across this software via google while searching for Anti-spam for Window Mail, I installed it on my XP as it is using Outlook 2007, I am impressed with it. Simple and easy and effective.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.