Recommend a cheap and low use VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beefsalami, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefsalami

beefsalami Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have been researching VPNs and have been looking at ones such as bolehVPN and such. However, I need a cheap one for very low use (say 5 minutes a day) to check a site that I cannot access. I've tried TOR and others similar and it does not work and the only thing that will work right now is a proper and solid VPN.

can anyone recommend a low use and cheap VPN for me?

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

If you just want a good solid VPN and use it for something that doesn't require lots of cloak and dagger, I always recommend AlwaysVPN. It's a prepaid VPN that uses OpenVPN and is extremely fast and reliable. $8.50 gets you 5GB, $15 for 10gb in packages that go all the way to 80GB for $47. If you're just using it for surfing, email and not a lot of downloading, even the low-end 5-15GB packages last you forever. The nice thing about the packages is that they never expire. I've used them for years.

3. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I spent a lot of time checking out VPNs with a similar set of criteria to yours. I am in USA so the criteria may differ in that regard. The ones I believe may work for you are: PrivateTunnel at $12 for 50GB with servers in USA, UK, and Switzerland, SecurityKISS 20GB month for $24 per year. I don't remember where the servers are but they have quite a few, and BoxPN $3.75 a month with servers in US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Sweden, Mexico, and Poland.

I believe I could be happy with either of these three.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

SecurityKISS would be my recommendation.:thumb:

5. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

6. box750

box750 Registered Member

If you only need a VPN for 5 minutes a day you can use SecurityKiss for free, they give you 300MB of free usage everyday and there are no adverts.

7. beefsalami

Thanks for the reccomendations guys...but regarding the securitykiss free proxy, is it in any way at all less secure (or have any less features) than say the paid version of securitykiss or other paid services?

8. box750

box750 Registered Member

As far as I know the only limitation is bandwidth, capped at 300MB/day and less server locations available.

9. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Why doesn't it work? Are they blocking access from Tor nodes? If that's the case, be forewarned that they might be blocking certain VPN server IP addresses as well... especially if the provider is well-known and has a large number of clients using the same shared IP address.

10. beefsalami

Hey I did use security kiss to register for a site, however, they did find out and ban my account. Where did I go wrong here, should I have used a different browser or cleared cookies or something?

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm not sure that I understand. Are you trying to get around a previous ban?

If so, it's hard to say why it didn't work. It could have been cookies or other tokens stored on your computer. It could have been the browser signature. Or o_O

It would have been safer to use a fresh VM :)

Edit: I just read your other thread. You were banned. Try again in a fresh VM, with a different VPN :)

12. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Most sites aren't (yet) sophisticated enough to utilize most of the various known browser fingerprinting methods, but just to be on the safe side I'd recommend at least to clear cookies and cache before attempting to create any new account. Also, you need to register with an alias email address that is not in any way associated with your old identity. See this thread for some suggestions: Free Webmail Services for Better Privacy.

Possibly, some other user of your VPN provider (in this case SecurityKiss) had already registered at the site in question from the same server, thus resulting in the block. This is one of the inherent problems of using shared IP addresses - that innocent users can inadvertently be banned due to other users' actions. For this purpose, you may need to get a dedicated (not shared) VPN or proxy account. For example, nVpn.net offers private IP address VPN accounts for $8.00 per month.

However even if you were to go this route, there exists the possibility that the entire network range (or country) has already been blocked... so keep that in mind upon selecting a server location.

13. beefsalami

Hey thanks for the replies and suggestions.

@mirimir: I'm sorry, but what is a VM? I'm a totaly newbie haha.
    Also, is there anyway to clear the browers tokens that you spoke of?

@Casperface: Thanks, I will register for a private VPN.

so as of now, I will take the following steps

1. Clear cookies and cache
    2. Get a private VPN
    3. Get a 'fresh VM'
    4. New email address
    5. Find out ways to clear tokens stored in comp/ browser signature, etc (need to find out more about these..)

14. CS+ script in the browser is how they got you.

15. mirimir

VM means virtual machine. If you're running Windows, VMware Player is probably best. It's free. You can install Linux as a VM. Xubuntu for example. Working in the VM, you're isolated from any tracking stuff on the host machine.

Reliably clearing all of the tracking stuff is impossible. See -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_cookie-

16. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

Mullvad.

You download the client with the trial. You write down your customer ID on a piece of paper. You send $7.00 a month for however many months you want to their Swedish address. They claim not to keep records and have quite a good reputation.

When you get disconnected from the VPN, the Mullvad client will not allow any connection to the net so you know for sure you are always connected through them.

Don't ever pay for a VPN with a credit card or any form of bank transaction.

https://mullvad.net/

17. mirimir

They're indeed good people, it seems.

That feature does work. But be careful, because it can mess up your network connection.

As PaulyDefran noted in DasFox's old thread, paying anonymously for your direct-connect VPN does provide some anonymity. But it's obvious to your ISP that you're connecting, and the VPN provider knows your IP address, so there's not much anonymity. If they collaborate, you're hosed. Given that, I wouldn't bother doing cash in the mail for that VPN. Cash via mail is also slow, and not very reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.