Recomdations Please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by laffin_boy, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laffin_boy

laffin_boy Registered Member

Hi folks,

i'm searching for an AV app and, as usual, I find i'm swimming against the tide. Most people seem to have massive amounts of real time "protection" which I haven't found necessaary over the last 20 yrs of fooling with computers. I want something that I can use as a simple, reliable, hassle-free "on demand" scanner. I've tried Avast, Avira & Panda recently and have been frustrated & disapointed with all 3. Here's what i'd like to have:

-- Freeware

-- Must be able to disable *all* real-time, running-in-the-background “features

-- Must be able to be set up as a manual, “on demand” scanner with a “scan with...” entry in the Explorer Context menu

-- very low memory overhead for the processes required: “on demand” scanning and auto def file update only.

-- must be able to disable the “self defense” feature (unlike Panda Cloud free)

-- reasonably highly rated in AV-Comp, etc tests with *very* low FP’s.

-- Can live with required registration and *occasional* nags

-- and, unlike Avira & Avast, must actually install and work as advertised on my XP laptop

Thanks in advance,

laffin_boy

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.