Recent comparison of A/V products - comments invited

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cruachan, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruachan

Cruachan Registered Member

Hi,

Received this link in an email today:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

NOD32:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392633,00.asp

Not sure how much credence should be given to such reviews and ratings (are such surveys truly independent?) but, on the face of it, the conclusions might well steer a prospective adopter away from NOD32 in favour of another competing product.

Despite my recent travails with NOD32 I decided, after all, to remain loyal and purchased another licence. However, on this occasion I restricted it to one year instead of my usual three years. This licence expires in October, 2013 so you can see that this decision pre-dated this survey of current security solutions and did not influence my decision.

It would be interesting to hear what others have to say as this matter affects all of us. Are there real grounds for feeling concern? Can we be reassured?

Mike

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    If you are happy with the product why let one review change your mind?
    nothing can guarantee 100% security. I don't know where pc mag get their samples from and Don't know if they verify all samples are functional.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Mike:

As lodore said one review? These magazines don't come close the the tesing services that specialize. They also live month to month on advertising revenue. AV comparatives sets rule for vendors to get tested and the vendors pay for the testing service. I like that better.

As to Nod32 I have that product and like you the license expires this fall November.

So I will review it then. IF nod32 is NOT in the top 5 for real time detection I will replace it. Loyalty to vendors makes no sense to me unless you work for them.

As well users need layered security so a router, a software FW, host blocking tool, sandboxie and most important of all a regualar image backup of data and programs.

Hope this helps you!

4. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

One AV test means nothing as you mentionned they live from advertisments. On the other hand, 3 AV tests state Nod32 is in the middle position.
    http://www.av-test.org http://www.av-comparatives.org http://www.virusbtn.com do not put Eset in the top 5.
    However I find Nod32 is light, it supports windows xp X64 and is easy to use.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I hope that one day most people will choose their AV by how well it protects them in real life. As for tests, they should reflect reality, ie. they shouldn't be based just on on-demand scans and shouldn't include any corrupt, non-functional or dubious samples (grayware) which is still far from reality. In my opinion, the most competent people to talk about the effectiveness of AVs are sellers of various AV software who have to deal with complaints from their customers or technicians who clean infections on customers' computers.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No nothing to worry about at all. The user experience is much more important.
    ESET have never reach the top in any recent tests, but instead it's very very stable hoovering around 97-99% in a test were the top would be 100% of course. But all the users that used ESET around V2 can I see saying things such "ESET is not what it once was" or "After V2 ESET has gone no where but downhill" I say how would they know if they've stopped using ESET ages ago?:gack:
    All they do is looking at the different tests and then make a comment about a product that they have used before. They can do that if they want, but it's nothing more than misleading.

I have used ESET since V3 and IMO the products have only got better and better, and ZERO threats have reached my PC. All of them were stopped att the HTTP level in the browser. And that's a HUGE reason why I love and will continue to use ESET, for it's amazingly effective Web Protection.
    And everything is tightly integrated without any use for stupid plugins in the browser for example, for speed and protection.
    And it's also very light on the systems resources as we all know by now.
    FYI, the RAM usages doesn't tell if a product is light or not, ESET is using around 80-100 MB of RAM. And it's designed to do so, so it can be light on the CPU and Harddrive.

And that's ESET in a nutshell, nothing stupid, nothing unnecessary added, and most important NO Bloat. :D (And I hope it stays that way)

BTW....On a side note.
    The readers of PCMag is saying something different than the reviews you posted :thumb:
    http://www.eset.com/about/press/art...ty-suites-and-stand-alone-antivirus-software/

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Under Pros for Eset it says good malware cleanup. Under Cons for Eset it says very low scores for Malware blocking ability.. Lol I don't put much stock in their test after reading this. When you look at all independent testing done on Eset from various sources you will see Eset is strong in malware blocking but weak in removal. Quite the opposite of their results. I think you have too look at all the independent testing done over a year period or more to get an ideal of an AV's Pro's, and Cons.

8. er34

er34 Guest

OMG ! At first I couldn't believe my eyes reading this written by somebody who represents antivirus vendors.

Thank you for being honest - that deserves respect and applause :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

People like us.... quite honestly - we sell other products apart from ESET - but ask me what I insist goes on all my own personal machines... and it's ESET.... :D

I can run *any* antivirus without paying - we can get EVAL licenses of ANY product - and I know there are products which beat ESET in "lab tests" - but 76 VB100 awards and my own experience is enough for me... Endpoint on my work machine - Smart Security 5.2 on my personal machine and CyberSecurity on the macbook... now we do have other layers of security.. hardware, routers, etc - but the main thing is what I trust.

10. webyourbusiness

But most folks don't have a year to watch AV testing to make that determination.

We carry 3 AV's which we consider "Best of Breed" - all have their strengths and weaknesses - you pretty much put it in a nutshell - ESET keeps out most threats - doesn't do as great a job at removal - but KAV does a BETTER job - it just slows you down a LOT more... ;)

11. er34

er34 Guest

webyourbusiness, I think it's time you left other antivirus software and focused on one only - perhaps only ESET :)

Information security is much more than just antivirus. Protection comes from many layers - eliminating the threat entry points and eliminating the vulnerabilities is more important. Cleaning infection is way easier when done with portable tools other than full AVs or when done outside the main OS. but you know this already

12. xan K

xan K Registered Member

My thoughts exactly!!! Before my license expired last year and before I renewed it, I download some trials from the top AVs out there. None of them worked as smoothly and wasn't as easy on resources as NOD32 has been all these years. I especially disliked one AV in particular that needed browser plugins for better protection. I hope ESET never do that and always stay bloat-less and focused.

13. webyourbusiness

lol - we sell more of ESET than any other product and have been selling ESET for 8+ (might be 9) years. Shhh... we have many thousands of customers.... ;)

ESET in the US only had 4 staff when we started selling their products!

14. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Comodo 100%
    are you ****ing serious

15. The PIT

The PIT Registered Member

When I did more regular virus cleaning from students pc's I quickly discovered that the big players weren't as good as the lab results. Normally totally unaware that they're infected despite totally up-to-date.
    My last big task was my nephews laptop infected with infected with four variants of ramnit plus friends that were downloaded in the meantime.
    Livecd's made little impression so eventually took the hard drive out slapped in a caddie fired up my mac and got eset to scan it. Eset got very excited tried to clean it and claimed it had. A rescan showed that it hadn't and all the infected files will still there.
    Next I fired a virtual machine up this also had eset on and this also failed to clean it. The scanner that did clean it was the poorly rated often very buggy pctools spyware doctor plus antivirus which deleted and cleaned files when needed.
    Dunno why eset failed to clean it while on the mac when pctools could I don't know. That's the only big fail I ever had with Eset.

16. manak

manak Registered Member

I had the same experience.
    ESET detects a malware(I don't remember the name of malware ESET detected) but failed to clean/delete so
    I used avast Free Antivirus to clean/delete the malware. avast did the job well.
    Infected laptop was not test purpose that time but later I did malware removal test with that malware just for my curiosity.
    Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes all they could clean/delete that malware.
    Maybe that's why ESET consistently got low score repair category (not just useless(?) registry left issue) independent lab tests.

Manay people criticize methodology of AV-Test, AV-Comparatives and VB100.
    Ironically antivirus vendors use their certification, test result (the category which they got good score) for their marketing.
    People blame or criticize their methodology when the product got bad results which is currently they use.

A long time ago I like to know new ESET HIPS effectiveness
    I clearly remember the malware name Win32/Packed.VMProtect.AAN (ESET detected)
    I could know ESET HIPS (Automatic Mode) is useless so set Interactive Mode and tested.
    (ESET HIPS UI is not easy to use to create rules and I don't recommend Interactive Mode for most users.)
    Make a long story short. ESET HIPS (Interactive Mode) detects modification but fail to prevent ws2help.dll modification.
    Yes system was infected.

* Comodo firewall defense + HIPS could prevent this and Kaspersky HIPS (application control) also did the job.

I hope that ESET Nod32 is improved Repair and Automatic Mode HIPS(UI too) in new version 6.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  17. Marcos

It is necessary to know the complete name of the threat in order for us to be able to comment on it. Do you remember if it was a legit file infected with a parasitic virus or another kind of malware (trojan, worm, etc.)? To my best knowledge, in some tests aimed cleaning ESET got lower score because the tester used PUA applications but left PUA detection disabled or they counted it as a failure that ESET prompted for an action when a PUA was detected (which is obvious and expected in case of PUA).

18. manak

manak Registered Member

It was not PUA. I could remember it was trojan.

* By the way I strongly recommend ESET users enable PUA detection.

19. Marcos

Should you come across the issue again, please post here a complete record from your threat log / on-demand scanner log that contains the full path to the file, detection name as well as the error while attempting to clean it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.