Receiving About 50 Malware E-mails A Day

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by LodeStone, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LodeStone

LodeStone Registered Member

Hi!
    Since a few days I have been receiving daily up to 50 fake USPS, then DHL, then USP, and again DHL e-mails all containing malware according to my Avira AV. The latter quarantines them all:

"TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen.Trojan"
    "TR/Dldr.FakeAV.XD Trojan"
    "HIDDENEXT/Crypted"

I always surf and run my e-mail sandboxed, so that together with Avira I am fine.

But I was wondering if any agency exists -some Internet authority- I could contact, so that they could maybe trace this stream to the source.

Does anyone know?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

4. LodeStone

Thank you very much. :thumb: :cool:

Following the first link I reported it to Knujon. I forwarded one to them as an example, and gave a few samples of the many headers which are all using DHL, USPS, UPS, FeD Ex, and FEDEX with added variations like TEAM, MANAGER, and SUPPORT and different numbers, and - or _.

One header as an example:

"FedEx TEAM 32" <support_96@fedex.com>

I'll see what they say, and take it from there. :)

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I wouldn't hold your breath. If it was easy to track these people down they would be already out of business. I'd bet the majority of the emails are being sent by compromised computers. Average everyday people (like your neighbors) who's computer has been infected with malware.

6. LodeStone

No response from Knujon yet.

I just called my provider -Alice- who normally filters out some 99% of spam in my experience, and asked them who does that for them. But all the kid could tell me after inquiring was "Various companies in the US with blacklists." He did not now their names...

So I'll try the US gov. one and maybe one of the others by following the first given above link.

Today I received another 30 so far from the "DHL"series. :D

7. LodeStone

You're right, I see various e-mail addresses from people who have the same provider as I. Like "janegreet@alice.nl". (I removed one letter from this example.)

8. LodeStone

I had called my provider -Alice- about this a few days ago, and again yesterday when they told me they had passed it on to the US company which does the spamfilter service for them.

Just now I saw that all the rows of fake DHL, UPS, UPSP, and FedEx with malware attachments have begun to end up in my 'Unwanted mail' folder on my provider's website, where I go once every few weeks to check in that folder for the sporadic false positive.

They sure made work of it fast. I feel greatly relieved to be freed from having to click 50 times on 'OK' -one after the other- every time Avira asks me if I want it in quarantine...

9. LodeStone

Well, I have still been getting lots of spam and emails with malware attachments. The solution -for me- is MailWasher with SpamCop.

MailWasher sends spam through to SpamCop, and SpamCop makes sure the source is found, and the server informed of the spammer.

It is very effective. After I reported the above row -fake USP, USPS, DHL, and FedEx- it stopped the next day! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.