Received email from Faronics

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by thatanonymousguy, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatanonymousguy

thatanonymousguy Registered Member

About a support ticket claiming I called and asked about a particular product feature. I contacted them for more details about who called in my name. No one knows, but they did use my email address to identify themselves.

Should I be especially alarmed? What would you guys do?

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Have you ever contacted Faronics before?

What was the support that the caller requested (product)?

What did the email ask you to do?

----
    rich

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I contacted faronics before and got a response several weeks later by that time I forgotten that I contacted them and thought it was a scam but it was actually faronics that was just slow to respond.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. thatanonymousguy

thatanonymousguy Registered Member

hm. it appears to be a legitimate email.

It doesn't ask me to do anything, just tells me that the ticket was closed.

After logging into the support page on Faronics, I see a recent support ticket. That's the one I never opened. The notes specifically say "caller" asked the question. They do list my past tickets, which were resolved over email.

They seem to be very confused about it when I contacted them. One guy told me to contact Microsoft. They don't seem concerned about it.

The question asked of Faronics by whomever opened the ticket in my name had been about why the system clock did not update DST. Faronics replied to them saying that the system needed to be unlocked for the change.

Why might someone be so concerned with the system clock? File time stamps, perhaps? /Tinfoilhat

Sometimes on some security forums, I read posts that start out plausible and start getting, you know. Start naming involvement of 12 or more of those organizations with 3 letters and they say how they're convinced the NSA is gassing them through the A/C and coming into the house and whipping them with damp pasta while they're unconscious.

I don't mean to make it sound like that, but this is some creepy stuff.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.