Reboot "preparing to configure" message

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by axial, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

Win7 x64, sp1, all critical updates. NOD32 4.2.71.2

I'm trying to troubleshoot a Windows msg "preparing to configure Windows" that flashes by on the screen for about .5 second when we reboot (both using the "Windows > restart" option from the Start menu and also cold boot). It's so fast it's unreadable. Although I have no reason to suspect NOD32, on the forum here the only possibly relevant message concerning "preparing to configure" that I've been able to find is:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=332920

(unfortunately that thread is way beyond my meager understanding)

We have "Update for MS Windows (KB2735855)" installed on 9/15/12

Is there a way we can determine whether NOD32 in combination with this update might be causing this issue?

Thank you.

2. P_R_

P_R_ Eset Staff Account

Hello,

maybe you could disable protocol filtering, restart the system and try to reproduce the issue.
    Than please re-enable it.

Do you have SSL scanning enabled?

3. axial

axial Registered Member

Thank you, P_R_,

1. re: protocol filtering. In Advanced Setup tree > Protocol filtering there isn't any text on the right-hand option window at all, specifically not any checkbox to "enable / disable protocol filtering", as is shown in the screens on online KB Solution ID: SOLN2132 (although I do realize the screenshots shown are for Smart Security)

The only possibility is to expand the tree which displays the Excluded applications. All applications (approx 120) are unchecked. There isn't a way to "select all", so this would be rather tedious. Is there a different way to disable protocol filtering globally, perhaps a registry setting?

2. re: SSL scanning. No, it is not enabled.

==============
    Various KB articles detail significant improvement in protocol filtering in ver 5.x We could upgrade to 5.x if this would be a more viable solution.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd uninstall EAV for a while just to see if it makes a difference and to confirm or deny whether EAV is somehow involved. Such a test can be done within a few minutes which is probably the fastest way how to determine a possible connection between the issue and EAV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.