Reasons Not To Use NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Halo326, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

2. Medank

Medank Registered Member

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

ESET has lost it's great detection ability...It can't do much nowadays, without a behaviour blocker and any kind of self defense.

Note, however, that most of the missed samples were rogues, and when dealing with Spyware, NOD32 is definitely not good.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nothing can catch 100percent of malware on a given day.
    people who create malware can easily change it to avoid detection by av's

5. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

nowadays antivirus alone will not protect you 100% you should use a behavior blocker like Norton Antibot or Threatfire

6. emperordarius

Or an antivirus with a good behaviour blocker

7. Halo326

Right now my set is NOD32 and Comodo with D+. On demand with SAS and MBAM.

8. emperordarius

That should cover the lack of behaviour blocking functions and the spyware detection rate.:thumb:

9. Halo326

I know but watch his review on KAV 09 and Avast. They both do better then NOD32. I think I am going to switch to KAV.

10. emperordarius

The best performers were Kaspersky, Spyware Doctor with Antivirus, Avira, Norton 2008 and the new Panda AV, according to the tests.

If you have a subscription let it finish...maybe in the future Eset will implement those technologies...if not, you can switch to whatever you want.

11. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

While I use Kaspersky, NOD32 still has some strengths, in particular its proactive protection. Its still a good product, but as mentioned I would use it as part of a layered defense, not by itself.

No AV catches everything - With the right collection of nasties, any other AV could have been in the same boat.

12. Halo326

I realize no av is perfect but this real life test is better then any paper test you might see in AV Comparatives or any other site like VB. But when Avast free does better then NOD32 is a real let down.

13. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

But that real-life test contains one example out of an infinite number of possibilities. If the real-life test had a different set of malware, you may have seen a completely different set of results - That's all I'm trying to say. With the right test, you might see Avast blissfully ignoring a multitude of threats, and NOD32 catching them all.

That's the problem with antivirus in general - Who do you trust? Once-off "real life" tests really can't tell the full story, aggregate tests like AV-Comparatives are sometimes judged as suspect (and then there are tests where the tested list is given out ahead of time - Suspect from the start). Then of course there is personal criteria, like is the product available boxed, does it come from a company with reputable market share, does the company have offices in my country, etc. etc... Some of these criteria matter to some people, and to others not.

There really is no single source of information here that's accurate. If we took every test as gospel, people would spend more time re-imaging their machine or installing different security products to the point the protected machines would never get used :D

IMHO, these tests, certifications, and what not have to be taken as a whole. When I look at all of the various tests and certs, NOD32 is closer to the top than the bottom. This is one bad test for them, but its only one test among many.

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is true that NOD isn't that good when dealing with rogue spy applications but that is why Microsoft recommends second dedicated antispyware protection . NOD32 has more than once saved the day for me , including this morning when I visited a known site that has obviously been hacked during the night . NOD32 alerted me on blocked site/connection with soursce known to distribute malware . No matter how many reviews one can give me , it has always done the job for me

Attached Files:

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.