Reason for not seeing web animations?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dobergirl, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobergirl

dobergirl Registered Member

I am trying to get to the bottom of a 3 day old problem - having spent sunrise to midnight each day trying to sort it out. 3 days ago I installed various programs to get rid of spyware, virus, spam etc. They are doing the job very well and I'm happy about that but somehow all web animations and some images have ceased working or showing in my browser. As I said I've been through everything, all java, shockwave, flash is enabled and updated - now I need to check the programs I've installed and ask if any have a block animations box that could be checked. I'm using SpywareGuard and some other things like ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Is there a hint of mischief here? Thanks.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I have seen a few pop-up blockers that block animated gifs and flash, so it is possible this is not the behavior of malware.

Let me guess, you love Doberman dogs?

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi dobergirl, ;)

Welcome to Wilders'

It would mostly likely be ZoneAlarm, filtering out the content. Check the privacy settings. ;) I don't use ZA myself, so I can't direct you specifically ... I hope a ZA user will provide some more direction should you require it.

Are you using any other filter apps, such as proxomitron, privoxy or anything else of this nature? Or if you're using FireFox as your web browser, are you using the adblock extension?

What images exactly are being blocked ... flash, animated gifs? Is it only happening on specific pages/sites?

Steve

4. dobergirl

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your help.
    I did install the trial version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite. In the settings I found under Privacy>Ad Blocking, that animations was checked so I unchecked it but it made no difference.
    Below are other programs also installed the same day. (I've been everywhere trying to find help since then).

SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster (I see that has a lot of blocking but can't see one for animations)
    HiJackThis
    Cleanup
    Everything is enabled in the IE browser, FLash, java & shockwave.

Just the gif animations and some images don't show, though they are there on other pcs. Just my system.
    Thanks again

5. dobergirl

Thanks for going to all that trouble to help. Actually I checked those IE settings first thing days ago when this all started. Think the only thing now is to uninstall all the pc protection programs I installed back then.

Again, thanks for trying to help.
    Best wishes

6. dobergirl

I just had to come back to tell all the good helpers that for some reason - unbeknownst to me why, the web animations are now working on my browser - except on my own webpage which I am working on.

No rhyme or reason for it - just technical gremlins messing with me.

Thanks again all, nice to know help is nearby.

Best wishes

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi dobergirl, ;)

Well it looks like it was the ZA privacy settings was the cause. What might have cause the delay between you allowing the images and them finally showing up, probably is the result of IE caching the pages. Which might also explain why you still don't see them on your web page, and IE isn't finding any changes on the page and is displaying the cached version.

So clear IE's cache ... and revisit your web page. ;)

HTH,

Steve

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.