Reappearing Virus' After Format

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Cjdawg1069, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cjdawg1069

Cjdawg1069 Registered Member

A while back I decided to format my computer since I had so much junk on it and was having many problems. One of the main reasons was I did not have a virus protection program. I figured I would format it, then install the anti-virus program I just bought. After formating the computer I set up everything (my internet/updating windows/downloading virus definitions). Then I ran the virus scan and I have several virus', one of which was W32.Korgo.V. After messing and looking for answers the virus got worse and worse and many other virus' appeared so I formated again. The same thing kept happening. Recently I bought a new hardrive and decided I would just take the older one out and put the new one in. So I did that, installed windows to the new drive, and again the same problems arised. Originally I thought the virus' were staying on the drive...but this is a brand new drive. Anyone have any answers?

Currently Windows XP

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I believe it is possible for viruses to infect windows installations. So you may have had your windows installation on your pc in a partition and creatted a recovery disk after becoming infected.

Secondly, it is possible for applications to withstand a format.

Jimbob

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Cjdawg1069, welcome to Wilders. The only way this virus is reappearing on your fresh format and reinstall is through not activating Windows XP Firewall or another Firewall, as well as your Anti-virus program BEFORE connecting to the internet and updating Windows, OR if you are doing this, then you are bringing the virus back in through an infected CD with your Data.

You could try following the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning. The steps mentioned use software that ought to be part of your security, as an absolute minimum. Once your system is clean, please don’t hesitate to ask further about using these and other security software to protect your computer.

If you find Windows system files affected, you can place your Windows CD in the drive, click start> run type in CMD, when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow" SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start that anyone can do.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

4. Cjdawg1069

Thank you for the reply, you seem to have very knowledgeable information to offer. Just to reply to some of the things you said I use Windows XP which has the built in firewall. I checked it just now and it says it's stopped through the msconfig command on the services tab. I'm not exactly sure if it's supposed to say running at all times. I have it enabled, but if it needs to say running how can I fix this?

As far as anti-virus software goes. I do install this after I format. But the virus definitions get reset so I need to connect to the internet and upload the definitions. Not sure if problems could occur during that time.

You mentioned it's possible that virus' could be on one of my cd's but just to mention all of the cd's I use are brand named cd's that were never created on my computer, there the cd's the computer came with. All of which were bought. Unless the manufactors sent me the cd's and they got virus' from them, which I doubt. If that is possible then correct me, just i'm not at all familar with it.

Also someone said that the virus could possibly be on the ram...is that possible?

I will try your everything you said though, ty for the help. Also last question my computer has slowed down a good bit since all the virus' have infected it, after cleaning it will it speed back up or will I need to reformat it?

5. Cjdawg1069

I wanted to also add that all the sites I visit are trusted sites when and after I format my computer. I think the only site I actually load up is windowsupdates.com for updating windows. I'm going to try running Norton Systemworks on all the cd's I use to see if I can find virus'.

Last but not least the viru's that I keep getting are pretty much the same ones everytime. Like the korgo I mentioned. But sometimes I get different ones as well. So I would have to assume it's from the same source everytime.

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yep!......Been there!....Done exactly that!.....Picked up a worm while on Symantec Live update after a fresh XP install!.....Dumbuck here had forgotten to enable the firewall!!!.....Just started all over again!....Formatted/reinstalled again, this time turning on the FW before connecting for live update!!.......a valuable lesson though!

7. Cjdawg1069

Doesn't XP automatically enable the firewall when windows loads up? Isn't that good enough or should I actually get a program with a firewall?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for firewall/anti-virus programs. I have Norton Systemworks atm but that's just anti-virus.

8. bigbuck

I'm not 100% sure, but I think SP2 does enable the XP firewall by default, but prior to that I pretty sure it had to be enabled manually.
    EDIT: A couple of threads to peruse.....
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=58888&highlight=xp firewall
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=60611&highlight=firewall
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=59760&highlight=xp firewall
    Cheers,
    Buck.

9. bigbuck

10. Cjdawg1069

Hey thanks. I found out how to enable XP's firewall. I searched in google and found many sites. http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documents/4/4206/ there's the link incase anyone else was unsure. I will look over those links though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.