RealVNC and security Suite

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by cham, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cham

cham Registered Member

vers: 642 on XP SP2

Hey folks i got a problem using RealVNC and the newest security suite. I'm a home user, and the firewall is installed at my parents, i have a remote connection to their computer (realvnc) because sometimes they **** it up :)

The problem is that i would like to continue in Automatic Mode and allow me to connect to RealVNC. It uses port 5900 (but can be changed) any suggestions?

i was thinking if it was possible to add a trusted ip or something that would allow me to do almost about anything? (without getting into interactive mode)

2. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi cham, If I'm understanding you, I would say:

If you're trying to initiate the connection from your computer to where ESS is installed, ESS can't be in Automatic mode. You would have to go into Interactive or Policy-based mode and add a zone (IP range) in order to allow inbound access from your computer (Personal firewall > Rules and zones > Setup button in zone and rule editor > Zones tab).

However, in researching this, I was told of a RealVNC tool that would allow the client (your parents' computer) to initiate the connection to your computer. This would require your parents to be at their computer, but should allow them to operate in Automatic mode. You might want to investigate it from that angle if you haven't resolved this.

3. cham

cham Registered Member

Yes you do understand me correctly :)

Thank you very much for your input, i will check of that tool you mentioned because my parents is not so much for all those pop-ups regarding security, they usually just click yes to all :)

But for the Eset Team i would like to recommend of a possibility to add a trusted IP-address even if you are in automatic mode.

4. cham

cham Registered Member

Just wanted to let you know how it went.

I've searched around for a tool for realvnc, but couldn't find any, i read about "UltraVNC SC" but i can not recommend that program it looks good on paper, but dislike it otherwise as i am used to realvnc.

After close reading i did find a way to do "reverse VNC" with RealVNC. Simply make a shortcut at the remote computer with something like this:
    "%programfiles%\RealVNC\VNC4\winvnc4.exe -noconsole -connect [IP]
    **Note server must be started in order for this to work.

The computer of which the ip referes to must have the Viewer in "listen mode". (default port is 5500)
    "%programfiles%\RealVNC\VNC4\vncviewer.exe -listen"

Good luck to the rest of you who have problems with this also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.