Realtime Protection Suggestions After Getting Hit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ken7, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken7

Ken7 Registered Member

I got hit last night with a Malware scareware program called Anti-Virus Soft.

It stopped me from running all my programs. All it did was keep telling me to buy it's software to fix the problem with plenty of non-stop pop-ups.

I read that if I had Real-Time malware Protection running that this major headache would have not been able to load on to my computer.

I cleaned it out by booting into safe mode on Windows XP, using rkill first and ATF cleaner and then I could run Malwarebytes free and SAS free and now everything seems good.

So what real time malware protection would be a rock solid choice?

I use Avira for virus protection.

Also, how does this happen? Was it from an infected website? I use Firefox.

Thanks

2. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Ken7, have you considered something in the lines of Sandboxing your online browsing or possibly a Light/partition virtualization software?
    Either option would offer superb added protection.

4. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I will suggest Defensewall: http://www.softsphere.com/

I personally would wait for 3.0 first though (its currently in beta) before I would buy it. 2.56 is very good but 3.0 will have better protection against these fake av's.

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

You need some kind of layered approach starting with your anti-virus and a software/hardware firewall to keep out unsolicited traffic.
    You also need zero-day protection such as a HIPS program or sandbox. Maybe a blocklist (modified HOSTS file, etc.) and a backup plan for at least your data and maybe your operating system. Also, you need to keep your software up to date as a lot of malware targets unpatched systems. A good place to check for free software is: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/probably-best-free-security-list-world.htm
    A good system scanner to check whether everything is up to date (can be down online is): http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
    Good luck.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

If the user was running IE8 in protected mode, would this have been prevented? UAC would have prompted like a hips program and the user could have denied installing it.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.