Realtime protection in latest gmer?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gullible Jones, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've noticed that the latest version of gmer lacks the settings tab in which realtime protection can be enabled, and though I've seen a few forum posts about this, I haven't found anything very detailed. Is there some way of enabling the realtime protection, e.g. adding gmer to the system autostarts with some flag or other? Or was the functionality completely removed? If the latter, does anyone know the reasons for its removal?

2. Okay... Since I was curious about this realtime protection feature, I tried installing the previous version of gmer, enabling all the HIPS stuff (followed by a restart), and experimentally installing PCTools Firewall to see if it would detect and intercept the driver installations... It didn't, the drivers automatically installed as usual with no user input. What gives? Was the HIPS feature removed because it didn't work? Or am I doing something wrong?

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Just a guess but I know for a fact that there is whitelisting on numerous drivers that would otherwise throw up multiple hits in a GMER scan . Could this same list be used to reduce user interaction prompts on known legit software ?

4. Could be, I guess.

Has anyone done any tests of gmer's HIPS capabilities?

5. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Did you notice if the network protection or autostart protection worked in version 14 ?

Going to try it myself tonight.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does gmer has hips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.