Realtime Protection and Archives

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Whissi, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whissi

Whissi Registered Member

Hello,

I created a RAR archive from ~680mb file.
    The RAR archive has a size of 140mb (20% compression rate).

When I rightlick that file to open context menu, NOD32v3 RC1 will start scanning. This scan takes about ~5 minutes. In that time, the system becomes unusable.

When I select an context menu entry like properties, NOD32 scans again. Again 5minutes, where I cannot use the system.

Actual: The realtime protection is unusable for me.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The real-time protection doesn't scan archives, only sfx archives are scanned on create provided you have that option enabled.

3. Whissi

Whissi Registered Member

Interesting.

Can you explain why ekrn.exe does consum 100% cpu, when I access a RAR archive?

To reproduce:
    Create a folder on your desktop called "Test". Put some compressable content into that folder. Now, install WinRAR 3.7 from rarlabs.com. Rightclick on the folder called "Test" and select WinRAR -> Add to archive...
    Activate the options "Lock archive", "Put recovery record", "Put authenticity verification" (this requires a registered copy of WinRAR) and "Create solid archive".

Now you will see that after the main WinRAR thread has finished (the WinRAR window is still opend), ekrn.exe will consum 100% cpu.
    In my case, after 5 minutes, the WinRAR window get closed normal and the operations finished without errors.

Now, select that file (leftclick) and open context menu (rightclick). Again, ekrn.exe will consum 100% cpu. After 5 minutes (the time, ekrn.exe seems to need to finished whatever it is doing), select properties. Now you have again to wait 5 minutes, until ekrn.exe is finished and properties window of Test.rar shows up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.