Really and truly...??

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This is bugging me a bit now... lots of to-ing and fro-ing and "my cousins' sisters best friend told her"...
    There has been to my thinking some creeping fud and chinese whispers around.
    I know there have been security lapses and hacks of various *nix servers even at RedHat recently, debian b4 that... etc which does and did raise serious concerns.
    Lots of security advisories: often about 3rd party apps ( can there actually be third party in OSS ?? )

Is there anyone who can definitively offer a Linux or BSD desktop/home system with a malware/virus/worm/rootkit/hacked root escalation problem where there has been no physical access. ??
    Part of a botnet?
    Any keyloggers installed ??

I'd really like to know for elucidation and actual verification.
    Regards

2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

The answer, of course, is no. People have tried many time to use Google to find cases to use to prove this happens and there aren't any. All they ever find are old cases of vulnerabilities that have already been patched. Not actual exploits where bots or keyloggers have been installed via the internet.

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I have read that there are some old Red Hat servers around that have been infected by various OLD worms and such. However, these machines are running kernels that are like 8 years old. In my own experience, I have never seen a genuine case of a reasonably up to date Linux box having a virus, and I have been around Linux security forums for a while now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.