Real-World Restore time

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Consult_DWI, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Consult_DWI

Consult_DWI Registered Member

Hello, I am evaluating Paragon Server for a small company I work for. Looking around this seems to be the most active base of users I can get an opinion from.

I am looking for real-world disaster recovery times based on a scenario:

Domain controller physical machine dies, we have no spare hardware. The drive before backup held approximately 50GB of data and software. We are restoring to VMware to get up and going until we can order new hardware to replace the machine.

Does anyone have a clue on realistic numbers? I have heard of other products, and Paragon claiming a few minutes to recovery, but it HAS to be longer just to write the data.

Thanks in advance!

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Consult_DWI,

There's a couple of scenarios. If you had backed up with Paragon, you can simply convert the backups to a virtual drive image file (vmdk) and then mount the image onto your virtual machine. Alternatively, what I've seen some people do, instead of backing up to an archive, they directly copy their system to a virtual drive image routinely. If something were to go wrong, they simply power on the virtual machine with the VM image created.

In any case, converting a backup to a virtual drive is almost the equivalent of restore an archive - time and resources-wise.

If you are testing, I'd recommend you play with P2V Copy, which converts your physical hard drive to a virtual drive directly, and P2V Restore, which converts an existing archive to a virtual drive.

3. Consult_DWI

Thanks for the reply, but I can't test. We are too small of a company to afford a test server.

you mention:
    what I need to know is the baseline time frame we are talking. My supervisor thinks it would be faster to just install server into a new VM machine from scratch, and restore the system state from NTbackup, me I have no clue, does it take an hour? 10 minutes? 3 hours?

4. techtype

techtype Registered Member

On a fast machine, it would be reasonable to expect to restore an image of a 50 gb source in 15 to 20 minutes from a gigabit network or an internal sata backup drive.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Consult_DWI

Thank you! It's so hard to find that kind of information, I've been looking for a few days now on all the major backup solutions and haven't found anyone able to give me a solid answer.

Thank you again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.