Real time protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by BG, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BG

BG Registered Member

Since neither MBAM or Prevx Edge have real time protection in there trial versions I hope someone here can tell me which has the stronger protection for a person who does a lot of online purchasing and banking. My wife's system already has NIS2009 but wanted to add a little more. Moderators I wouldn't have ask this but like I said neither product has real time protection in there trial versions. And I have installed both at different times.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

did you tried SUPERAntispyware,DefenseWall Hips or Online Armor they all protect your banking and privacy:thumb: and their trial has real time protection:thumb:

3. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Online Armor Pro and DefenseWall have "banking mode". But since your have NIS installed (meaning you already have a firewall), i think Defensewall would be a good addition.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I can say for sure that PrevX Edge has a much stronger protection.
    For your wife, Defensewall would be another goooood addition. :)

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Do you have any independent tests to support this assertion? Or is it just an unsupported opinion?

7. emperordarius

8. bellgamin

You're kidding, right? That is not a professional testing organization. Just an "average joe" by his own admission -- by no means a pro.

Prevx has never done well on tests. After they failed AV-Comp's test, long ago, Prevx apparently began a policy of avoiding tests & POCs. In olden days they put out the blurb that Prevx was so technically advanced that it couldn't be tested. :cautious: Example.

Prevx Edge looks promising, but claiming excellence for an as-yet unproven application borders on dissimulation.

9. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

For what it's worth, the points that Notok raised in that post remain completely true. Current AV testing only covers small pieces of the entire spectrum of threats and that makes it fundamentally and conceptually difficult to test our products (as, for instance, you can't "turn off" the updating to test heuristics and it does require a connection to the internet to scan).

We are not avoiding tests at all, we're just waiting for a test that accurately assesses the effectiveness of our products, good or bad, and we have still not seen any.

As for PoC/Leaktest programs - our products look at the overall picture of a program and its behavior. Leaktests have fundamentally different behavior from real malware so we logically would not block them, however, we block their malware counterparts which employ the same/similar techniques.

The best way to test Edge is to whip open a virtual machine and go visit some known infection-carrying sites and see if you can infect yourself with Edge enabled. Frankly, there is no better "real world" test than that and this is what we do every single day in the office to test and improve our protection.

10. emperordarius

That's true, however the detection method used by PrevX is better, that videos may be unprofessional but still show how malwarebytes failed with most of the trojans. I'm not talking about detection rate, but real time protection mechanism.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also real life situation,real people not vendors and in the wild fresh malware from the net:thumb: it is better than the pro(pcmag and others)real life testing is the best:thumb:

12. BG

BG Registered Member

I have tried DW but it just didn't agree with our different setups. Running Vista Ultimate 32b.

The best way to test Edge is to whip open a virtual machine and go visit some known infection-carrying sites and see if you can infect yourself with Edge enabled. Frankly, there is no better "real world" test than that and this is what we do every single day in the office to test and improve our protection.

How can I do this if the trial doesn't allow it?

From reading the different posts. I'm inclined to Prevx for (Real Time) protection.

Thanks guys.

13. PrevxHelp

For people wanting to test protection, I've been PMing one week trial license keys. I'll send you one as well :) We are still discussing the licensing changes (possibly making a time limited trial for instance) but for now I don't mind passing out trial licenses manually.

14. removemalware

removemalware Registered Member

I think this average joe would like to test EDGE against some *almost* 0-Day threats :D

15. PrevxHelp

Responded via PM ;)

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have NIS2009, Threatfire and keyscrambler installed on my PC. Threatfire v4 has been working well (no browsing slowdowns like I had with v3.5) and not conflicting with NIS2009. Keyscrambler is also virtually silent and adds no noticeable overhead. If one of the goals is to spare your spouse from dealing with security applications then this is a good combo. Ideally I would throw on a sandbox too, but this could be too much for a non-technical user.

17. bellgamin

Are you inferring that AV-Comp's test of Prevx was incompetent? Deceitful? Or what?

And where is Notok now? I miss him. He was technically very adept, excellent at communicating, and very honest & forthright. Perhaps he was TOO forthright, & didn't adhere closely enough to the party line when Prevx tech support became nearly non-existent?

And how many more contemporaneous Wilders threads will be co-opted by Prevx & fan-boys? 9 now, & growing.

By the way, I actually admire Prevx Edge's concept. It's just that the tactics are a bit questionable in my OPINION. Compare with the singular Katie DriveSentry thread. Katie does an equal support job here, but without finding every possible excuse for interjecting into other threads. By the way, DriveSentry (also untested) is quite the equal of Edge -- and it's free (or 1-off, as you wish).

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

hey B G, keep your eyes open, Notok does pop in here every once and awhile. I conversed with him a couple of months ago and he was doing good. I think Eraser and PrevxHelp have helped to carry on that open but forthright approach that Notok had. :thumb:

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Threads and the discussions within threads are driven by the current topical interests. In large measure, topics that are new will dominate the discussion cycle. This occurs in virtually every field that I'm acquainted with. Perhaps it is related simple human nature.

If the dominance is warranted by objective performance metrics, the discussion subject will continue but generally at a lower steady state level. If the dominance is unwarranted, interest will simply fade and further discussion won't gain traction.

That's the natural way this works. Give nature a chance to run its course

Blue

20. PrevxHelp

The AV Comparatives test of our product was just incorrect - not deceitful at all, but it only reviewed one facet (and frankly the least important facet) of the entire product. It would be like reviewing a car and only analyzing the windshield wipers.

Notok is no longer with the company and if you have any instances of me not being honest and forthright, please let me know and I'll be sure to adjust my posting in the future.

If you notice, I only post in threads where our product has already been mentioned and opinions are being gathered. As I've stated previously, I am not trying to peddle around our product - I am merely clearing misconceptions and answering questions. Feel free to ask the admins to merge the threads if you desire, but I don't see any reason to do so and if users wish to create other threads, I think that is fine. Just because users have kept to posting in one DriveSentry thread doesn't mean they should be forced into posting into a single Edge thread, in my opinion.

21. bellgamin

I know that Notok's health was dodgy for a while, TRJ. If you have contact with him, just tell him that grouchy old Bell still thinks often of him. Notok is a rare good fellow who taught me a lot. He is a true "professional" who always was willing to impart knowledge to others, and who never went out of his way to try & make "amateurs" feel inferior. May he live long & prosper.

As for the topic of this thread -- I emphasize my earlier statement that DriveSentry is very much the equal or better of Edge. Unlike Edge's requirement for year-by-year licensing, DS is free or (your choice) only $10 1-off. And their history of friendly & timely support is well-established. Moreover, they don't use the cop-out of being untestable (see HERE).

Thus, I can heartily recommend DS for real time protection. :thumb:

22. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

PCMag reviewed drivesentry at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2107784,00.asp
    I believe Edge has a better concept and hence, a better detection rate, but nobody really knows yet since PrevX likes to dodge tests :)

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That review wasn't particularly positive, but it was for DriveSentry 2.1 and the latest version is 3.1.2.32. Is there a more recent review of version 3?

24. bellgamin

There is a review HERE covering an unspecified version of DS. The review was made by a *test organization* (sic) of questionable expertise.

A recent review of DS's mobile version is HERE. The mobile DS version operates on the same concept as its big brother, so the review of the mobile version should give you a pretty good idea of how the full-sized version of DS works, & how well.

Reportedly DS is in the queue to be on the list of those regularly reviewed by Virus Bulletin, a review organization of long-standing high repute. There was a VB review of DS -- covering DriveSentry Desktop 3.1/3.2 & GoAnywhere 1.0.2/2.0 -- in Nov. 2008. However, the details are available to subscribers only (sigh). Perhaps a VB subscriber will read that review & give us a brief overview of VB's findings -- IF it is not forbidden to do so.

25. removemalware

removemalware Registered Member

I've been testing EDGE for a few hours now (the full version). I fed IE 30 malicious URL's (some auto-downloaded exe's and some I had to run).

EDGE blocked everyone of them quickly and without any fuss

So, so far EDGE looks like a really solid app. I still prefer the idea sandboxing all downloads and installs though ( like in DefenseWall), but for users who don't know what to trust or not to trust EDGE seems like a solid anti-malware choice...so far...I just started testing today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.