real time protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i want to use spysweeper as on demand and I want something to use as real time protection

can you name me the best real time protection and name the best things about each one

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Try SuperAntispyware Pro. Just downloaf a trial and use it and see how it goes before u buy. 2nd shice will be Ewido.

If u want free,

windows defender
    spy catchet

Both not so good but free and i am using them.
    To me, still no replacement for SpySweeper.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

NTW, keep an eye on forums and be patient. U have posted it at least thrice.
    Choosing a good security software can,t be so easy and straightforward.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sorry for posting so many times

5. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

Spyware Terminator has good real-time protection. I'd try that, and if you don't like use Windows Defender.

If you want paid, there's nothing wrong with Spyware Doctor. or Ewido AntiSpyware.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so are you saying ewido 4.0's real time prtoection is really good?

also at this point I would like to know what you people think of counterspy?

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used Ewido for about 2 years. I am now using V4. I am pleased, but I do not seem to be "attacked" by malware so I cannot say how it compares to other applications. However, it is primarily an anti-trojan with a good anti-spyware capability. I think it is the best anti-trojan, even though they have renamed it anti-spyware.
    Personally, I do not see it in competition with Sptyweeper for instance. If I had to choose only one it would be Ewido. I do think you need both types of applications.

I have used Counterspy for about 2 years. I have not been infected, but it is the heaviest program on my system. It was using 101,856k of memory a couple of days ago when I checked it. For that reason I would not recommend it unless you have a lot of memory. I have 1024MB, and have not noticed a slowdown. The memory usage has been a big complaint of users.

I have recently installed SuperAntiSpyware Pro, and so far like it better than either Spysweeper or Counterspy. However, I do not think any of those are a replacement for Ewido or similar AT.

Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so are you basicily saying you would sergest ewido all the way?

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You have to stop searching for the best or the very best realtime protection, because that doesn't exist.
    There are a number of pretty good scanners with a realtime protection, but they all have one thing in common : INCOMPLETENESS.
    So don't depend on realtime protection completely, because that's impossible.
    Try each good scanner, if you like it and your computer likes it, keep it.

I know and understand, what you are looking for. Two years back I was just like you. What you want, does NOT exist.
    You have to watch forums like Wilders on a daily base and each day you will come closer to your own security setup.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I know you cant completely rely on it but i want the best real time protection avalible.

beause theres new spyware everyday its hard to keep up. so the so called "shields" can only normaly protect you from the nasties it has signitures for.

but ewido does seem to have a great scanner and detects alot of stuff.

"theres no such thing as 100 percent security"

but as it said in a pc mag all you can do is have the best protection avalible at the mo.

normaly you have to wait at least 1 hour after a virus out break to get the new signiture for it.

so during that time the real time protection cant stop that virus.

so if you accidenly get it durring that time it will be picked up during the next scan.

but i do know that with nod32's advanced threat sence heristic detection updated hourly you can sometimes be ahead of the viruses.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I HAD to pick one it would Ewido, but would not feel that I was as secure as I would want to be. I do not know what other anti-malware you have on your system. It would be helpful if we knew.
    But I agree that if you want one to do it all, you are looking for what does not exist.

Jerry

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, you want the best things? Do these things exist? Yes and no. For instance, my best things are NOT necessarily your best things, and vice versa. Why? because my expectation and yours are entirely different. And furthur more, the best things of today may not be the best thing of next day. Therefore, my suggestion to you is "try and error". I takes me nearly more than 6 months or so to have my first best things, but those things changed after 4 weeks. Do you get my points? Good luck for your search.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Exactly correct. And don,t forget safe surfing, I can assure u if u do safe surfing u can altogether drop real time AS scanner.
    Also at this srage I will suggest to add FDISR or RollbackRx as a security measure.

14. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Just something for you to consider - I've been running ShadowUser, Online Armor AV+ and Prevx1 for a while now, and am very happy with it.

In terms of realtime protection of a similar nature to an AT/AS, I'd say Prevx1 is right up there. I haven't found any comparisons, so I can only guess...but my guess would be that Prevx1 is better than the best AS/AT's - but I don't really know how it'd compare to the best AV's. The main problem with Prevx1 is an occasionaly CPU hit, and an occasional slow down when running new programs.

But the best part is, because of Prevx1's outbound firewall (and my hardware firewall), I don't need a separate software firewall...yet between OA AV+ & Prevx1, the equation works out like this :
    - 2 x signature detectors (prevx + OA AV+)
    - 2 x generic keylogger detectors (prevx + OA)
    - 1 x behaviour detector (prevx)
    - 1 x rootkit detector (prevx...and to a degree, OA)
    - Registry Protection (prevx + OA)
    - IE Protection (prevx + OA)
    - DNS poisoning protection (OA)
    - spam filter (OA)
    - spoof email filter (OA)
    - hosts file protection (OA, not sure about Prevx)
    - program tracking ability with rollback function (for the tracked program) (OA)
    - and the outbound firewall (prevx)

hmmm...probably missed some stuff, but you get the idea.

I like ShadowUser, but it's not for everyone. It's a program that, upon reboot, reverts your computer to the state it was in when you activated SU...so if you have to make changes you have to deactivate it (which also requires a reboot). Good security while surfing the net, but some inconvenience involved too.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But Prevx does slow down ur system significantly as I felt.

16. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I also experience significant slowdown on my PC when I tested Prevx.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my current security software is as follows
    F-Secure internet security 2006
    Spysweeper
    they are both real time and scanning

Spy Bot and windows defender are on demand only in my setup

I would like to point out I am very security aware and make sure i only go on afe site and if someone trys to send me something on for e.g msn i ask them what it is before acepting it and check the type of file and title of it.

but i use real time protection as a extra measure even thou i am really careful. the main reason thta im really cafeful now is the fact that my old pc used to crash all the time for no reason intill i found out it had 200+ bits of spyware on it after i got spysweeper for my new pc. so now i make sure something is totally safe and go way to far on checking it before i go on websites.

18. muf

muf Registered Member

As good as Ewido seems, i still don't believe that it is sufficient protection against Spyware/Adware. If you are looking at a broad scope of protection then Ewido will give you that, but it you want a more full defence in place then i would suggest Firewall, Antivirus, Antispyware and Antitrojan. Looking at what you use then i would say Ewido would compliment Spy Sweeper but not replace it. I still believe Spy Sweeper will give better protection than Ewido from Spyware/Adware related threats. If you did decide to replace Spy Sweeper with Ewido then it would be advisable to install a HIPS application. But either way, Ewido on it's own against Spyware/Adware may not be enough.

Good luck with your choosing.

muf

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

There have been a lot of significant performance enhancements in the past several builds, but keep in mind that if you run it with 5-6+ other overlapping apps, there is indeed a chance it will put some drag on your system. I'm not sure that any amount of optimizing could make up for that.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have Prevx1 on my system along with OA,SSM,Ghost, and KAV. I honestly can't see much measurable slowdown, between having them all on or all off, so I don't see any drag from Prevx1

Pete

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Peter! SSM, OA, Prevx and Ghost - all together, it,s a killing overlap indeed. If u don,t feel any slow down with all these then let me say, with due respect, that either u can,t appreciate what a slow down is or u have a super computer!

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Spyware Terminator is free,it's also a beta.It updates frequently.That may be worth a look for real-time protection.
    For an AT I would go with BoClean.

23. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Hi Aigle, I had been trying different security applications too and I always had the uncertainty that whether any of them was conflicting with others. For example, if I was using programs A, B and C and only B displayed a warning when I visited a certain website, I was not sure if A and/or C were blocked by B or not. The problem was that some functions of a program could be "masked" by others without the user knowing about it. For example, a program might have ten system "shields" but some of them might be "inactivated/overridden" behind the scene by other programs protecting similar things. From my experience, sometimes the more security programs I was runnning, the more secure I "thought" I had while in reality the less I was certain about it.

24. Peter2150

While I'd agree there sure is overlap, each one does do a few thing that are unique(don't ask me to list them, my brain is to tired for that), and also there is an element of 2nd chance for my mistakes.

As to the 2nd issue. I don't have what I'd consider a super computer, but it is no slouch either. Even with the above, I can open AOL, Quickbooks, and every one of the programs in MS Office Professional Suite and not use over 55% of my memory. As to telling if there is a slow down, there are certain tasks I can do under load, and measure the difference. I've done this both with and without the above programs, and on this machine, there is no measurable difference.

Occasionally there might be a hickup (BSOD), but that could be because KAV,SSM,OA,and Ghost are all beta's:D Also that is usually on adding a new beta to the mix.

Overall works very well. Doesn't bother me with pop ups except on install, and I shut down a bunch of it for that.

Pete

25. Peter2150

Hi Lu chin

I haven't seen that at all. Occasionally when it is an overlaping functions, the programs patiently wait there turn for me to deal with them.
    I never had an issue when I didn't know what program was doing what. But then I always set unknowns to ask, instead of an automatic block. Once there is a challenge, I might let x y or z create a new rule, so it doesn't bother me anymore.

Pete

PS. Undoubtly I wouldn't recommend this for the casual user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.