Real-time protection still scans flash drive even if Removable media is unchecked

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by freesurfer, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

Good day.

In NOD32 Antivirus RC1, I unchecked the Removable media under Media to scan in Real-time file system protection but when I opened two usb flash drives on two different ports, it still scanned the drives (each flash drive has a malware file in a subfolder and was detected/deleted when I opened the subfolder). Should it not scan the flash drives?

To be sure we (me and NOD32, we're pals :D ) are on the "same page" on what is a removable media, I clicked the Custom scan in its on-demand scan. When I selected Removable media under Scan targets, it correctly checked the usb flash drives.

Is this a bug/oversight? Has it been reported? Has it been addressed? If not, any ideas what's going on?

Regards

2. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I have noticed in my own bios that some (my 2 sandisk cruzer micro and lexar secure II) show up as hard drives in the boot section of my bios... don't know if that would make a difference here or not though.

3. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

Chances are it wouldn't have anything to do with the BIOS with regards to viewing the flash drives as hard drives. I could be wrong but it would seem logical for BIOS to treat the flash drives as hard drives if they were to be used as boot devices; otherwise, flash drives will be treated as removable medias.

Also, chances are that the method used by the on-demand scanning to determine if a drive is removable or local would be the same method used by the Real-time file system protection. Given the problem I mentioned, I hope this warrants an investigation by the ESET development team.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.