real IP seen?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by david banner, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

2. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

all I get is this.
    2008-02-11_200125.jpg
    Using Firefox, javascript enabled for auditmypc.com, disabled for googlesyndication.com

I think you are right though.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

It is not your real IP, if you mean the IP the internet sees. It is however, the internal IP address assigned to your computer, by your router if it uses DHCP. Your routers IP Address is more than likely 192.168.1.1. How do I know that? That is a common router assignment, in fact my internal router used also has an IP Address of 192.168.1.1. The 192.168.1.2 is most likely your computers assigned IP address. You can check it by opening (Assuming Windows XP) Network Connections, right clicking on your network connection, click Status, then Support, look at IP Address. That screen will also tell you if it was assigned via DHCP or manually. I am guessing manually.

For example I connect to the internet via my ISP's router and my own internal router (more that one computer is why). My ISP's router is 10.0.0.1, I tell my router to connect to the ISP's router on 10.0.0.2. My routers IP is 192.168.1.1 and my computer are assigned IP addresses in the 192.168.1.0 range, for example this computer is 192.168.1.10. That test revealed that address. I does not work if Java is turned off. My internet IP Address is assigned by my ISP and that address will is represented by the xxx's in the below quote.

Your internet IP address is shown on the first page you provided, just above the Software Audit Link in the box, see the xxx's:
    That IP 192.168.1.2 is part of a range of addresses reserved for Private Use Networks (RFC191:cool:. Those IP address ranges are as follows:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)
    192.168.0.0 -192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

Do a search of 10.0.0.2 your will get a lot of hits. It's nothing to worry over.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. david banner

So what is their idea scare tactics? Why do they say it is the real IP when it seems to be everyone IP?
    Thanks for your reply

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It doesn't matter if anyone knows your IP or not anyway. It's just nonsense for those who want to worry about something.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

All i see is the NoScript icon. Clicking it asks to download a plugin. 1st time, since i configured Debian, that i see need for some plugin :doubt: . I don't know why i need it, but at this point i don't care either.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello

Yes.
    Similiar discussion here. A bit more here. See if it helps...

I agree, generally no, but this is called privacy. As with all security aspects, people are more or less concerned with this one.

8. david banner

edit will post back when sure

9. david banner

I understood that setting scripting of java appets to prompt would give me a choice but no

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It seems that you have to disable javascript for IE globaly. I have no idea how to do that. Here's a Wilders thread dealing with the same topic. As you see Firefox w/NoScript passes this test.

11. david banner

The Castlecops thread says they do not really see it that it is only visible and available to us very interesting. Also putting the site in restricted zone apparently stops it working

I see also the signature things that show your ip on a forum signature is apparently only local too. I often wondered how they work. How do you put one in your sig?

12. Mem

Mem Registered Member

13. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

192.168.1.1 is the standard Lynksys address for its router.

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Yes, with out a doubt scare tactics. They are hoping to scare you enough to click on those revenue generating goggle ads

15. david banner

16. caspian

caspian Registered Member

You clicked on the Internal IP test. Click on "What's My IP" closer to the top.

17. caspian

caspian Registered Member

That depends on whether or not you value your personal information and privacy. If you do not mind all over your personal data, everything that you buy, your interests, and your conversations all being linked to your name and location and possibly even your physical address, then it does not matter.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mind or not, it's going to happen anyway.. How many of the millions of internet users do you think actually hide their IP from the world?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.