real ip address?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by bigben, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigben

bigben Guest

Hi can someone tell me how i can determine what my real ip address is? I use AOL and i think they use a proxy or something. So i don't want that ip. I'm trying to determine the ip of my computer. I use windows me for my OS. Thanks.

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    If you are using the earlier Windows versions you can try entering "WINIPCFG" without the quotation marks in Start>Run and see what you get. If you have a newer version you can try entering "IPCONFIG" from the DOS prompt.

3. bigben

bigben Guest

Thanks QSection. When i type in 'WINIPCFG' under IP Configuration it says 'DNS servers' xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx would this be my computers true ip address?

4. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

You can try going to DShield.org

http://www.dshield.org/

then click on the "Are you cracked? Click HERE to see" feature just below the map. It should then show you your IP address.

5. bigben

bigben Guest

Thanks Grumble but Dshield.com is giving me the AOL proxy ip address, not my actual computer ip, which is what i'm trying to figure out.

6. bigben

bigben Guest

Oops meant Dshield.org in the above post.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Here's a site that explains WINIPCFG....

http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/pages/setup/winipcfg.php

Your IP address will be next to "IP Address:" on the screen when you select the correct adapter line. Look at any/all of the pulldown adapters and ignore any where it might say "IP Address: 0.0.0.0" or "255.255.255.255" or anything like that.

8. bigben

bigben Guest

Thank you Mr. LowWaterMark for your very helpful reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.