Real advantages 5.2.x vs. 6.0 ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by wolliballa, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolliballa

wolliballa Registered Member

Can someone explain (technical not marketing pls.), what the real advantages would be to switch from 5.2. to 6.0 to encourage my customer to take the move.
    As stated otherwise by Marcos the scan engine is the 'same'.
    Any news apart from the fact that there now is a (questionable) Facebook App ( normally facebook users get told to stay away from apps getting access to personal settings ) a new icon colour and a higher revision level I discovered nothing obvious.
    ? behavioural monitoring
    ? speed, system load
    ? new modules
    ? better adaption to Windows 8
    ? earlier load during boot time
    Tell the truth, pls.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

A good start is to read the official press release
    Here: http://www.eset.com/about/press/art...hishing-module-and-eset-social-media-scanner/

Where one can read that the engine has been re-designed for example.
    And I guess that several "under the hood" improvements have been made as usual. Things that you don't see but may feel :thumb:

So if you wish to update, uninstall V5 and make a clean install of V6 seems to be the best way to good. After seeing some reports that installing V6 over V5 can cause problems in some cases.

3. Seliv

Seliv Registered Member

Without advertising,here are the facts and experience i have since i used ESS V6 RC and now full version.
    -It has better real-time detection (and its improved really,they even manage to get to 11th place on AV lab test for real-time detection-this is to earlie to say for sure how good it is but compared to V5 its 10 times better).
    -I did some test of my own on virtual machine and on portable OS and it did excellent job compared to V5 (it missed only 10 out of 800 treats which i had to remove with extra tool).
    -Virus removal is heaven and earth compared to V5,its so improved that i am without of word how to describe.
    -Detection is improved too,it was already good now its even better (Eset manage to take 1st place in lab test for daily virus detection)
    -GUI is more friendly and looks neater than V5,and PUA can be global turn off and on (what could you wish more ?)
    -Parental control can be now turn it off permanently without getting warnings or reminds.
    -HIPS have a huge improvements too,its less likely that Eset will delete false positive,it leaves you a choice for user to do that later manually when you run demand on scan (well it works that way with default options).
    -It is light on resource as every Eset product,it does not slow down comp while it runs update,scans ....
    -Anti-theft is still not mature,but with some work in coming months it will be (its free anyway,so you are not paying for that)
    -For social protection i do not know what to say,i didn't test it and that's remain to be seen from other user experience.
    -I don't know how it works on Win8 i do not using it
    -Rootkit detection is improved too ,but because i use ESS i am not sure how is it for Nod32 since it does not have Anti-Stealth module.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Detection and cleaning is same for all versions (v3/4/5/6). The only difference is that v6 has advanced heuristics enabled on file execution by default while in older versions it was disabled due to negative performance impact.
    Anti-Stealth is a part of all ESET's products for Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.