ready to begin, but just in case

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thaKing, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thaKing

thaKing Registered Member

i'm about to install TI Corporate Workstation 9.1 in order to clone the drive on the machine where it will be installed...so that i don't mess things up, i just want to make sure i have my steps down...

1. i'll need to create a bootable disc using Rescue Media Builder.
    2. clone the HDD where TI is installed (i'm going to create it on the HDD and then burn it to a DVD+R)
    3. go to new machine that has a new, clean HDD and have the bootable disc in the cd drive
    4. boot this machine
    5. install the cloned image from DVD+R
    have i left anything out? is that all correct? i've read through the user guide and i just want to make sure i've digested it correctly...

thanks for any assistance you can provide...

2. thaKing

ok, i hope no replies means i have got everything in order...i'll be doing this this afternoon...so if anyone has any last minute suggestions, please don't hesitate...

3. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Hi ... Are you cloning an image of the hard drive from one computer and then going to try to install this image onto a different computer ? Or is this the same computer with only a new hard drive ?

4. thaKing

it is going to be new hardware...the computer i'm cloning has had hardware failures...so instead of fixing the many hardware problems i've built a new machine...thus, i'm trying to move everything over....

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

A clone or image followed by restore will NOT work if you try to transfer everything to completely new hardware. So don't rush, do a bit more research or wait for further advice. I do not use Corporate workstation version of TI so I will now pass.

Xpilot

6. thaKing

so, in order to roll out an image onto many machines, i'll have to do a full backup and deploy that image, as opposed to a clone...is that what you're saying?

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, image vs clone has nothing to do with the main problem. The problem is that you have built an image of a configuration of Windows for specific hardware and if you load it onto disks for machines that have different hardware than your image was created on, it is going to choke on drivers and possibly the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

I also don't use TI Corporate but you need to investigate things like Sysprep from Microsoft and perhaps the Universal Restore Product from Acronis. If I were you I'd also be looking at whatever Microsoft Knowledge Base info there is on putting Windows onto different hardware. It seems sometimes it goes fairly smoothly but it can be an ongoing source of problems if it doesn't work right.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

As stated by Xpilot, if your are moving to new hardware, then neither the clone nor the image backup will work. By new hardware, we mean that the new hardware is not an exact match to the old hardware. In other words, the recipient must match the donar.

Perhaps you can do some forum research about using Sysprep which might be a possibility.

Assuming your new hardware is different and you have a new operating system, then you could mount the backup and copy any of your personal files, email, address book, documents, etc. Any old program you wish to use on your new computer will have to be re-installed from the original cd or downloaded file.

Cloning is when you simply want to replace the old drive with a new drive or have an identical copy.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello thaKing,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

If you want to restore the image to the new hardware and you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers.

Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of Acronis Universal Restore.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.