Read Error during cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dan_yo, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

I'm trying to clone my HDD (SamsungHM160 HI SATA) to new drive (Hitachi Travelstar 7K320).
    I'm getting a "read error: unable to read Disk1 sector 40193199 (retry..ignore..ignore all).

Tried a couple of times with "retry", then selected "ignore". The operation continued. Its continuing to clone as I write this.

As far as I know the Samsung drive is error free/healthy no bad sectors.

Should I halt the operation from continuing?

And what is causing the "read error"?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

OK, finished cloning the drive and it wouldn't boot up. Had problems with Windows saying either hardware change or corrupted files.

Option is to do a recovery and everything would be reset to factory settings.
    Thats something I didn't want to do, start from scratch.

I thought doing the cloning would transfer the OS, settings,files,etc to the "new drive" painless. Not experience the trouble I'm having now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, as a first step you could run a chkdsk /f on the source drive -- that's slow going but it will confirm if there are any sectors that are too unreliable to read.

Also, you could try making a backup instead of cloning. Then see if you can "validate" the backup using the ATI Boot CD. You might find that the Boot Cd cannot reliably read your backup disk and will need to contact Tech for an iso you can burn to CD to make a bootcd that works with your hardware. NOte that the Bootcd issue would be a separate problem for unmarked bad sectors on the source drive.

4. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

I've tried running "chkdsk" but I'm getting message "access denied do not have sufficient privileges"..."you have to invoke this utility running in a elevated mode"

I'm the only one using the laptop and I'm the administrator. Why the heck is it stopping me from running "chkdsk".

Thanks for the suggestion shieber.

5. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

I was able to run "chkdsk/f" in safe mode and the did not find any errors.

Is there something else I could do to check out the disk? Its been working under normal usage without any problems.

Could it be the license/validity of Vista thats in that sector causing the read error? Protection/preventing it from being copied?

6. JamieShanks

JamieShanks Registered Member

I had this problem and fixed it by using the rear USB ports on the computer, and unplugging all the other usb periphrials. (suggestions from elsewhere on these boards, just passing them along :) ). Also there's a whole thing of cloning laptops by putting the new disk in the machine and the old disk in an external enclosure (which I did also). If you search the board for 'cloning guide' or 'reverse cloning' you should find some info.

7. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

Vista uses the HD serial number to create a binary code that it checks during the boot sequence. By changing HDs you have also changed that binary sequence. I'm not sure if Acronis fixes that automatically, I thought the newer versions that are Vista compatible do, but I'm not 100% sure if it does it during a clone operation. This problem can occur with Vista if you change HDs, or change the C: partition size. I may be way off and this might not be the problem after all, but if you search the forum for posts about Vista's BCD you may be able to find a method to configure your BCD to be less fussy than the original Vista install. By setting certain BCD parameters to 'boot' this problem goes away. Sorry I can't be more specific, its been several months since I read the posts that I'm referring to, so I don't happen to have the exact commands memorized.

8. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

JamieShanks, all my USB ports are on the side of the laptop none in the back. I just had the "new" drive plugged in the laptop when I did the cloning.

Thanks for the suggestion.

dwalby, I'll go through the post and see if I can find the postings.

Thanks

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Whichever disk Acronis is referring to as disk 1, I would recheck for errors using

chkdsk c: /R

This could take several hours and overnight is a good time to run it.

You might want to clear out the new disk again if it has any partitions on it.

What version of Acronis is being used and what version of Windows?

What brand of laptop?

10. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

GroverH...I think I jumped the gun, got ahold of HDD Regenerator and used that on Disk 1 (old) drive. It found 56 sector errors and repaired them. Maybe I should have used "chkdsk/r" instead.

Ran ATI again, completed the cloning without any "errors".

When I tired to boot from the "new" drive got error message: Software or hardware added/changed.

Use Windows installation disk to repair missing file \windows\system32\winload.exe.....Status OXC000000E.

Checked the Sys32 folder and the file "winload" is there. Its not copying over to the "new" drive?

Windows preloaded on the laptop, so I don't have the Windows installation disc.

I'm using.. ATI Ver.10

OS..Vista

HP Pavillion DV6704-AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core TK57

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dan_yo,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Download free trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 using this link. Using Acronis True Image Home 2009 from Windows you can clone the drive. The issue with winload.exe error shouldn't repeat again.

Acronis True Image Home 2009 trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available; 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

12. dan_yo

dan_yo Registered Member

I downloaded ATI 2009 as support suggested and was able to "clone" the "old" drive to the "new" drive without any problems. The read error didn't show up during the cloning operation.

Everything, OS, folders, files,programs and settings on the "new" drive is the cloned on the "new" drive.

The "new" cloned drive is installed in the laptop, being used as I write this post.

Good suggestion ATI support.:thumb:

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dan_yo,

Thank you for your feedback. We are really glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.