Read error (0x70003)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by madams2, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madams2

madams2 Registered Member

I am running True Image 9.

I have some bad sectors on my C drive and I am trying to backup the entire drive so that I can restore it to a new drive. I am getting a "Read error (0x70003)" error and it fails doing the backup. How can I get around this problem?

Thanks
    Mike

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try running chkdsk c: /r (assuming you are running XP).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

As you have bad blocks on your hard drive, we recommend you to create the bootable rescue media with Acronis True Image 9.0, boot your computer from it and clone your old hard drive to the new one in rescue mode.
    Clone Disk option in Acronis True Image 9.0 will allow you to transfer the entire contents of one disk drive to another without any problems.

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. madams2

madams2 Registered Member

seekforever - Thanks, that did the trick

Acronis Support - Thanks for the info. That will be my next step once I get a new drive

5. JGGH

JGGH Registered Member

I get also get Read error (0x70003) chkdsk shows on problems. any idears?

6. Acronis Support

Hello JGGH,

Could you please describe your problem in more detail? What Acronis product do you use? What exact actions do you want to perform?

Please clarify whether you have bad blocks on your hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. nattres

nattres Registered Member

I get this error too. New user of TI9-Uninstalled store copy and downloaded latest build. Nine tries have not yet produced an image. I also get the "Priority changed to low" error mentioned in another thread. File backups seem successful in spite of the same "Priority etc." message.

Computer is Dell P4, 1G Ram, OEM WinXPHomeSP2
    Backup destination is Maxtor 200G USB2

So far not thrilled with True Image. Hope Acronis can help

8. Acronis Support

Hello nattres,

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Could you please clarify when exactly you have received this warning message?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. nattres

Tatyana wrote-

"Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition."

Thanks for your response. I will follow your suggestions but may need a little handholding as I am of limited experience. Tonight I tried an image again but set the priority to normal and got no yellow flagged warning about changed priority but still failed to create image with same "Read error (0x70003)"

Will now run "chkdsk c: /r" but must reboot. I have WinXPHome pre-installed by Dell. When I ask True Image to make an image backup the Partitions Selection screenshows:

Disk 1

NTFS (C) Pri,Act. 146.1 GB 22.67 GB NTFS
    Fat 16 Pri 62.72 MB 7.377 MB FS:Fat16 partition
    Fat 32 Pri 2.85 GB 2.365 GB FS:Fat32 partition

The NTFS only is checkmarked by TI . I have tried it this way and also with all three checked - no joy any way. Will report more.

Nattress

10. nattres

Nattres wrote "Will now run "chkdsk c: /r" but must reboot. I have WinXPHome pre-installed by Dell. When I ask True Image to make an image backup the Partitions Selection screenshows:"

Hi Tatyana,
    Chkdsk found bad clusters in file 410001 named "RECYCLER\S-1-5-~1\DC1\VTS_01_2.VOB
    Attempted image after this - same result.

Nattres

11. Acronis Support

Hello Nattres,

If you have run "chkdsk c: /r" for every partition of your hard drives and the problem still persists, please follow my further instructions in the post above in order to resolve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

12. nattres

Hi Tatyana,
    I have run chkdsk on the only partition I can find - "C"
    There is the Dell area for "return your computer to its as shipped state" but I don't know how to access it.

Attempted to install newest drivers as per instructions from Acronis - "SnapAPI has encountered a problem and must close"

Likewise the report program would not run - similar message

Attempted to open True Image - similar message

At this point I uninstalled and reinstalled True Image and will repeat steps

Nattres

13. nattres

Hi Tatyana,
    After reinstall and reboot, Acronis drivers will still not install - but a less drastic error report says try later.

The report program did run and I will send it it.

Attached Files:

14. Acronis Support

Hello Nattres,

Could you please clarify whether you have run "chkdsk" or "chkdsk c: /r"? If you have run "chkdsk c: /r" and this utility has not fixed the problem, we regret to inform you that the problem is related to your hard disk corruption. We recommend you to visit the nearest service center in order to try to repair your hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

15. nattres

Could you please clarify whether you have run "chkdsk" or "chkdsk c: /r"? If you have run "chkdsk c: /r" and this utility has not fixed the problem, we regret to inform you that the problem is related to your hard disk corruption. --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva[/QUOTE]

Hi Tatyana,
    I ran "chkdsk c: /r" on "C" But was not clear if this covered the Fat16 and Fat32 parts of "C".
    I have since run Chkdsk again from Windows rather than the command prompt. It found bad sectors again and some unreadable files. After it did its repair True Image no longer would open. Another un/re-install of TI and I was able to create an image for the first time. TI says it is a good one and I'm able to plug it in as a virtual drive and inspect it. Thank you for your help and hopefully clear sailing from now on.

16. seekforever

I hope it is too but it if it were my system I would be running chkdsk on all the partitions every few days until I was convinced that the disk drive is in good condition.

17. nattres

Thanks Seekforever, I will run chkdsk again for that reason, but I'm still not clear about whether running chkdsk on "C" covers the entire hard drive or can danger still lurk in the area reserved by Dell to "return your computer to its state as shipped" i.e. is that a partition not available?

Nattres

18. seekforever

From one of your previous posts I noticed you referred to the disk as C yet mentioned FAT partitions(?).

Please forgive me if I am telling you what you already know. A hard-drive is partitioned. Sometimes there is only one partition and it is called C. It may have hidden or special partitions like the Dell one you mentioned.

Sometimes people create other partitions on a drive rather than just having one big C and it usually is assigned letters such as D, E... or whatever. You can have a lot of these. These areas are often referred to as logical drives because logically they behave as separate disk drives even though they are all contained on the same (physical) drive.

The various logical drives can be formatted as NTFS or FAT32. NTFS is the more modern and robust of the two but FAT32 format is still used and are work fine for most situations.

I have never had a drive with a Dell or other vendor's special partition so I can't answer your question with any certaintly about whether or not you can use chkdsk on it. If you can see it and it has a drive letter assigned to it then you can.

Since you are not creating images on the Dell partition then checking it is not really necessary and any flaws contained in it won't upset True Image. However, if you are making an image of your whole drive or the Dell partion then a bad structure within that partition could cause a problem if TI can't read the data from say a bad sector.

If you are getting continuing errors on your C or other partition others then the drive is likely bad and you would need to replace the whole thing. Hopefully, you just had something go wrong and now it is fixed. Note that bad memory or a bad motherboard can cause bad data to be written/read to/from a disk too.

19. nattres

Hi Seekforever,
    This is a great forum. I have put in a file of a screen shot to help me explain. TI9 is happy to make an image of Disk 1 (all 3 - NTFS (C:),Fat32 and FAT16) or just the NTFS. I have presumed the FAT32 and FAT16 have something to do with the Dell restore to as shipped option but don't know. NTFS (C:) only is the default option presented by TI9.

I am unclear whether I want to image the FAT32 and FAT16 parts as well and whether "chkdsk C:/r" checks all of the hard drive or only the NTFS part.I have not made any logical partitions.

Thanks
    Nattres

Attached Files:

20. seekforever

Like I say I have never had a PC with manufacturer's special partitions on it. From what I have read, the smallest partition is likely the Dell diagnostics and the 2.85GB partition is where the restore file is to get your machine back to "factory condition". It also seems that Dell does change their methods on recovering PCs from time to time. I would suggest you carefully read your Dell documentation.

Now, based on my understanding, I would make an image of the whole disk rather than making just a partition image of C. This would also make include the MBR which is required to get into the Dell partitions. I'm afraid somebody else is going to have confirm that TI will indeed handle the Dell partitions correctly. After I had a good copy of the whole disk then I would just make images of C.

Are you using the Acronis Secure Zone to store your images?

21. Acronis Support

Hello Nattres,

Please note that you can back up and restore your service partitions (FAT16 and FAT32) without any problems. However, "chkdsk c: /r" utility is available only for your NTFS partition because only this partition has a drive letter.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

22. nattres

Thanks for the advice and furtherance of my education. For awhile, till I run out of space I'll carry both images - the full disk and C only.
    No, I don't use Acronis Secure Zone - from limited reading done here I can't see the advantage - not yet anyway

Nattres

23. nattres

Thank you Tatyana - things becoming more clear now.

Nattres

24. seekforever

Where are you storing your images?

25. nattres

Maxtor standalone USB 2.0 drive 200GB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.