Re Windows 10 Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wendi, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Is there any way to select which Win10 updates I want to download/install and which ones I wish to hide? ....as I was able to do in Windows 7 (and prior versions).

2. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

4. Adric

Adric Registered Member

5. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

6. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I never found a good reason to use the wrapper on my system. Your mileage may vary though.

7. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Props to @Adric & @Pliskin. I sure hope that does the job. Imho MS really botched the update process in Win10!

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

MS wants to control all users more and more. It will not get any better, only worse. Their marketing speak about protecting us by reducing our choices is what it is - marketing speak. It's all about control and we're the sheep :D.

9. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Sad, but apparently true! :'(

10. xxJackxx

It can be seen this way but as someone that has worked in the software industry for 21 years I can entirely understand why they want to keep a somewhat consistent product. It makes it much easier to create patches when needed. Especially when needed quickly. The down side is obviously when they get it wrong. Which they often do. It is maddening when they release an update with known issues.

11. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Alas there's no simple way to "pick & choose" Win 10 updates.
    Along with aforementioned utilities; NoVirusThanks offers a simple desktop GUI app "Win Update Stop".
    With this simple tool you can permanently disable Windows Updates and re-enable Windows Updates when you want.

12. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I started my career as a systems programmer for mainframes back in 1968. Our users had restrictions put on them too, but this is a somewhat different situation. If I work for MS and they tell me I can't do this or that or you need to install this, then okay, but MS is indirectly telling everyone that "buys" their software the same thing. I know ..... if you don't like it. don't use it, but that's not the point. Complaining sometimes helps to reverse a decision and MS needs to keep feeling the pressure every time they bork it or pull a fast one.

Tabbed Windows anyone? :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  13. xxJackxx

I'm not going to say "If you don't like it don't use it". Unfortunately since it is an industry standard there is little choice. :eek:

Complaining absolutely helps. XP was only supposed to last 5 years, not 12. And if you saw my post in the other thread, yes, tabbed Windows was the answer to the question nobody asked. And they can't pull it off. :isay: :D

14. Adric

Adric Registered Member

The bolded text wasn't meant particularly for you. I see the phrase used a lot on the internet and wanted to avoid that argument entering the discussion.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

As a an IT man, I fully understand. As a user, I have zero sympathy for corporate games. If they want me to "help" them, they can pay me. Something like 10% discount if you allow all updates, 20% discount if you don't stop the WU services, 30% discount if you use edge and full telemetry. Amazon have this with kindle - the ad-supported version costs 10-20 dollars less than the ad-free one. I'm okay with that. I am willing to pay more for having control and not being forced to eat from the mediocrity buffet.

Mrk

16. xxJackxx

I know it wasn't. I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't consider that to be a solution. :)

An interesting idea. I like it but they would never go for it.

17. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I don't believe that this is the real reason. I think that Microsoft want to force all the users to update their system so there are not anymore users that don't update and then complain " Windows is a bugged system, it's vulnerable, MS is not able to create good OSs... " and because in this way it - MS - can check our systems, install applications and services to drive our choices, as Google do in other way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.