Re-subscription costs too much

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Jibse, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jibse

Jibse Registered Member

I have just abandoned NOD32, because I had to pay the renewal of my subscription. About 30 euros. I took a free antivirus. I find too much expensive subscription. Re-subscription, it is the same price as the update. I do not find it normal.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re-subscription costes too much

So you have an approximate $1500 computer, credit cards, you use internet banking, then there is your identity (theft of), and you still choose to lower your protection for a measly 30 euro's :blink: go figure :blink:

Blackspear.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  3. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

4. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Re: Re-subscription costes too much

NOD32 is worth every cent. It's protection is Priceless.....I would never compromise my privacy and security by using anything else. Just like a PORSCHE... THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE!

5. Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Dr. Lucien Sanchez Registered Member

Apart from Aston Martin.

Anyway, I have to some what agree that NOD32 is a little on the expensive side, but really it's all worth it. I couldn't really compromise, NOD32 is just too good.

6. chmiller

chmiller Registered Member

I almost replied with the comment that "well, you get what you pay for," but then I realized that the av program that I ditched (symantec) to begin using NOD was more expensive than NOD. So I got better quality (in many ways) and saved my company $ at the same time. It's not cheap, but from my perspective (using it on my home computer as well and business network) its a great value.

7. Jibse

Jibse Registered Member

Yes, but why a firewall (like LNS for example) costs only one time (not every year)? Of course, we can paid as money as we want for a little plus, but I continue to think that the recurrent price like 30 euros for an AV is not a just price.

8. extratime

extratime Registered Member

I'm a little bit puzzled. The renewal is usually cheaper than the original subscription. So for example if the original subscription was $39 then ESET sells the renewal for $27.50.

I don't know the prices being offered in Europe, but check again.

9. extratime

extratime Registered Member

There are some good free AVs out there, but usually they don't give you exactly the same protection as the best of breed AVs.

If you are a safe, low-risk surfer then maybe a free AV is fine for you, but for those who need the peace of mind of superior protection 30 euros is a small price to pay.

10. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

It's the price of a (not very exciting) night out. Once a year.

So, it's not only your PC's health that benefits :)

11. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Most security software works off the subscription system, wherein users have to re-subscribe after their initial subscription ends (typically a year) in order to continue receiving updates and support. I would also prefer all software to be a one-time upfront purchase as it would be much easier and cheaper over the long run in that you avoid the hassle and cost of re-subscribing on a regular basis. However, the nature of security software (and most software for that matter) virtually requires companies to either implement the subscription setup or charge customers for new versions of the software. This is because security software has recurring and continuous development costs (Customer support, signature and software updates, new OS support) which requires a corresponding stream of revenue. This is why the subscription setup is increasingly dominating the computer security software market, so you better get used to it or switch almost entirely to free alternatives.

I'm pretty sure that isn't coherent. What are you trying to say here?

Despite its slight and overhyped slippage in detection rates as of late, what makes NOD32 so valuable is its excellent all-around protection, its small footprint on system resources (very light), its open compatibility (doesn't conflict much with people's systems). If these qualities aren't important to you, then by all means give up NOD32.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  12. deimos

deimos Registered Member

That's because AV companies must constantly update virus definitions, which is not free. All those virus analysts and testers must get payed.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Also the traffic on update servers costs incredibly many bucks.

14. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I know I've said all this before, but it's worth reinterating. You might find NOD32 expensive but they do have bills that need to be paid. Also, ESET seems to find out ways to save the user money. That is the only thing I will ever give kudos to them for. They offer many different types of discounts, some of which can be drastic. So I don't think this is another example of a company that is just after money, as some may be led to believe, a la *cough* Symantec and *cough* Mcafee. They truly have an amazing product.

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I didn't think it was fair of Blackshear to question the users cost rational. We all have expenses & don't need to explain beyond what we feel is more than reasonable . I agree tho that Nod is fairly priced, however I don't presume to assume what another calls extreme...

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You can always buy a two year subscription and save money. If someone can't afford the price, then buy what you can afford. That simple. I think what Blackspear is saying is the same as saying, you bought a Cadillac, so would you put cheap oil in it or buy the best and protect your investment. If you buy cheap oil and you eventually need a valve job, then the more expensive oil is cheaper in the long run because it protects your engine better. :p

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think BS says it all. When you start comparing the miniscule price for this software to protect the high price of your hardware, well, it really makes no sense. Nod is a very good product and actually cost less then a lot of others that have worse protection. Trust me, I know.:rolleyes:

18. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I just can't believe somebody is moaning about 30eur/yr! which equates to just over £20/yr which equates to peanuts!If your PC gets screwed by some malware it'll cost more in just your own time sorting it out never mind the data you may lose!

19. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It's not the cheapest price around (I pay 26 bucks, or 20 euro's, for a 1-year renewal) but that's nothing compared to what I pay in phone bills, license to watch some crappy tv shows, gas for the car etc.

And yes, I am very "protective" with my PC - It cost me quite a lot of money, so I'm not gonna let anything ruin that by using a mediocre security application. Only the best is good enough for me.

20. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

You get what you pay for. ;)

Actually one of the less expensive AV programs from what I've seen over the years.

21. larryb52

being on the other side of 50 & not the best of health I don't think I'd have to tell you if I should refill my heart meds or buy Nod. I understand where the gentleman is coming from...just my opinion

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that I can understand, with respect. Would you like a license for Nod?

23. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

It does make sense to many people... the problem is that some free AVs protection level and functionality is also similar to NOD's and other paid-for AVs... Its just one of those things... I totally understand why AVs need money... its an expensive business, but in the eyes of the user, if some companies are supplying a similar product for free, they might as well use the free one... makes sense ;)

24. larryb52

I have one thank you I was pointing out that everyone has a different perspective. The gentleman who started the pst felt mifted because the re-license was the same of a new, I agree that there should be some nominal discount for returning customers...

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't agree that you get what you pay for. Sometimes it is true, but not always. For example, I think that Avast Home is a better AV than several paid AVs, and as good as all except a very few.

I also think that the cost of an AV is not very much when I consider the trouble it would be if I got a serious infection. A keylogger could cause me to lose much more than the cost of a first class AV. If I got a virus or trojan and had to spend the better part of a day or longer the cost of NOD would seem like "chicken feed"

One of the top AVs which runs well on your system is worth more than its cost. NOD is not excessively expensive, and it is among the top anti-virus applications.

It is false economy to refuse to buy a top notch AV if it is the one that runs best on your system.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.