RE: Sophos UTM Home Edition

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Uitlander, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

I have heard that it has 'phone-home' component. Is this true, and if so, can it be stopped? If it can be stopped, could someone please detail just how its done? Thanks!

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I would guess that it does for UTM updates and several of the modules that require definition updates (mail scanning, virus scanning, web scanning, etc.)

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Weird, what's the point of running an UTM if you do not allow it to connect to its data warehouse? :confused:

4. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

I do not have a problem with it downloading; my problem is with software sending too much of my data to its mothership:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/hu-hu/121214

Way too many Big Data nosey nellies wanting way too much information for my comfort.

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

If you read that link it doesnt say anything about them sending your personal information to them.

• Sophos Information – version of SAV and hashed data to avoid duplication
    • System Information – OS, Kernel, architecture, distribution (About the UTM version and hardware)
    • On-Access Information – Fanotify vs Talpa and which on-access options are in use
    • SAV Configuration Information – If Web-UI, e-mail or management is being used etc (Makes perfect sense since it needs module updates, definition updates, etc)
    • Server Type Information – The applications in use on this server (Makes perfect sense since it needs module updates, definition updates, etc)

6. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Privacy Paranoids are funny :rolleyes: