Re:Sandboxie and Bittorrent/uTorrent client question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Overkill, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Ok I'm quoting from this thread...https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=308877

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of running utorrent sandboxed?
    I have set %AppData%\uTorrent folder to have direct access but my download folder is in the sandbox and I have added it to quick recovery so all I have to do is scan it then recover if it's clean and everything is fine so far...does anyone suggest any other settings?

2. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Re: Sandboxie and Bittorrent/uTorrent client question

If you have lots of RAM it would also be nice to move your sandbox container folder to a RAMdisk; this will save your torrents HDD from a lot of future fragmentation as your torrents will be downloading straight into RAM. Of course you cannot do this for torrents whose combined filesize is larger than your RAMdisk.

For example: my RAMdisk is 26GB and I always run utorrent sandboxed for any files that are around 24GB or less (I leave some space for my TEMP files which also reside on the RAMdisk). As soon as the torrent files/folders finish downloading I move them to my regular torrents folder on my HDD for regular non-sandboxed seeding later on. This way the HDD gets less fragmentation and only gets the hits that I allow it to have. So far I never had to download a torrent larger than 24GB (in most cases far from it), so this method works well for me.

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

There's no way that I could get infected by allowing the app data folder having direct access right?

4. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I'm not sure about this, maybe someone with more detailed knowledge of Sandboxie could answer. I run uTorrent as a standalone app anyway, this way utorrent has no files/folders in C:. All its files/folders reside within the same folder as its executable, and I sandbox the whole folder.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.