Re: Recuva 1.31.437

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Downloaded and installed the Recuva 1.31.437 program. Went into "My Documents" and deleted a file (.doc) I had created in Word. This file was only a test on my part as I do not need to recover it. The deleted file went into the Recycle Bin where I then emptied the Recycle Bin. I then attempted to recover the deleted file but Recuva failed to identify any deleted files on my system. This surprised me because I would of thought at sometime or other I would have deleted a file or two. Is Recuva unable to recover files emptied from the Recyle Bin? I would think the Recycle Bin would be where a lot of files end up being deleted that perhaps shouldn't be.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas why the file could not be recovered. Anyone care to share their experiences with Recuva? And, last but not least, anyone care to share any names of alternative programs. Not interested in comparing programs only asking for alternative programs that can be depended on. As always I will appreciated all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

Wow! Tried it again and this time there was, one or two deleted files, yeah right. Anyway not sure what happened the first time but now it appears to be working the way I would have thought it should. I should have looked into it further before posting. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

John

Of all the deleted files Recuva listed the file I was looking for was not there. A lot of .gif and .jpg but I only saw one .doc extension. So, I guess I am still asking for alternative recovery programs.

John

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. layman

layman Registered Member

Frankly, none of the undelete programs I've used works all that well with NTFS. They work okay with a FAT-type file system, but it seems you can never count on recovering a file from an NTFS partition with OS activity, even immediately after the file was hard-deleted (i.e. not sent to the recycle bin).

3. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

layman

I deleted "Recuva" from my system it did just not do the job I had expected. I downloaded and tried "DiskDigger". It found the file I had deleted and I was able to save it back to My Documents where it originally was. I recommend you try "DiskDigger" and see if it works for you. I believe it is a keeper.

John

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The best software I found when I accidently formatted my external Hard Disk was FileScavanger.

5. layman

layman Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I have Brant's site bookmarked, but I've never tried the program. Will do.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I can recommend GetDataBack from runtime and effectively recovered files one to several formats later. Also over the years have used the unerase tool from ERDCommander, Runtime also have BartPE plugins so you can boot from CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.