RE: Recovery failure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AlexG, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexG

AlexG Registered Member

I am using TI10(4940) on a Winxp sp2 computer . Can some please explain why recovery process failed resulting in booting process stuck at windows logo screen. Recovery process was started through acronis start up recovery manager with backup archive in acronis SZ and using snap restore. No error message occurred and when computer started booting up ,got stuck at windows logo screen.I always validate backup archives and this was full archive image.
    Thank you in advance for you answers.
    Alex G.

2. writedom

writedom Registered Member

Did you create the backup from within windows?
    If you did.....that's why.

Create backups using the recovery disk!

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Wrong creating them within Windows is not the cause of the problem! I do this all the time and have not had an issue when restoring. Snap Restore is the most likely cause of the problem. Repeat the restore and don't use Snap Restore.

4. AlexG

AlexG Registered Member

By recovery disk, did you mean using bootable rescue CD I had created for this computer at initial install of TI 10.

I have always wondered if better way to make full image of computer is to create image by either using rescue disk or through acronis startup recovery manager usuing F11 instead of windows environment . I will like to how many of you on this forum agree with this approach.

AlexG

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I for one, always use the bootable CD media to do ALL Backup, Recover, or Clone procedures. Of course if you want to do automatic scheduled backups you have to use TI from within windows.

6. writedom

I was referring to using the boot CD to create a backup image when backing up the Operating System Drive.

With regards to thomasjk's post:
    Wrong creating them within Windows is not the cause of the problem! I do this all the time and have not had an issue when restoring. Snap Restore is the most likely cause of the problem. Repeat the restore and don't use Snap Restore.

You can tell me wrong all you'd like. Many users as well as I have had difficulties restoring backups that were created while still in windows. In fact I have tested it on several machines and restoration problems occured pretty frequently when the image was created from within windows. When the images were created with the Boot Disk, they recovered fine almost every time. And I never used snap restore.

If you want to give the backups of your precious data the greatest chance of being error free you should:

Perform backups & restorations with Boot Disk & Test the recoveries to make sure they actually work

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

@writedom:
    Well you will also find many users who make backups under windows regularly and have no issues doing a recovery. So to make a flat out statement that making the backup under windows causes a failed recovery is just plain wrong. I've made them under windows and restored with the Linux rescue CD and BartPE and have not had a failed restore.

@Alexg: Did you validate the image when it was made? Have you tried another restore without using Snap Restore? Can you make a BartPE CD Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD with Mustang's BartPE Plugins.

8. writedom

As written above, I never used snap restore.
    All images were validated.

If a "Live" backup restore has failed numerous times on multiple computers (worked on some) then I would have to say that running "Live backups" is problematic.

If restorations that were created with the Boot Disk worked almost every time than it is safe to say "Boot Disk" backups & restorations are the safer way to go.

I don't know how many different systems you have tested ATI on but I spent months testing the program in the search of a reliable backup method. I personally tested the program one computer at a time on 15 systems (all backups to an internal partition, most were IDE drives). A good portion of the time the "Live Backups" were problematic.

I am just posting my experience with the reliability of the program.

Obviously the systems you are using are compatible with ATI and have not given you such trouble. I don't know what the incompatibilities are exactly (I did not write ATI) but they sure do exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.