Re: Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by marse.robert, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,
    I downloaded the Beta with much enthusiasm.Everything installed smoothly. Spent a few hours trying things out and turned my machine off.

When I turned the machine on, the Beta icon was red. The program told me that my network was not recognised (strange), and recommended a re-install - which I did. This time the program told me that the firewall could not initialize.

I formatted C: and installed a "pristine" copy of Windows from my backup location. The backup contained everything without any antivirus programs but the Windows firewall. I then re-installed Eset Smart Security Beta. Again, I got the same problem.

I earlier used the word "strange" because the initial installation of Smart Security went flawlessly, and the went "belly up" some hours later.

I would like to continue with this Beta but the program doesn't appear to like me. At the moment, I am back with NOD32 2.7 and the Outpost firewall.

As it so happens, a few weeks ago, I tried Agnitum's all in one effort and it wasn't too bad. However, I have had the Eset product too long and the loyalty concept demands that I remain with Eset - so, come on people, what is happening to me?

Marserobert

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Don't be affraid. This ESS version is only one in a very early beta stage.
    please keep that in mind.

I know for a fact that the Outpost suite has been tested before the public beta came out.

Give it some time and try the next beta version

3. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

'Unrecognised' network for me meant my local subnet (my home network). If you don't add that to the trusted zone as prompted, nothing works. Suggest you try again and ensure you accept the firewall prompts on install / startup - see if that gets it going. Good luck...

4. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Hello everybody :)

I'd have a question regarding putting your subnet in the "trusted zone": shouldn't that allow malware that spread through the network propagating from an infected PC in the same subnet to the others through the trusted zone?

Perhaps there is a more granular and less permissive way to make things work without adding the entire subnet to the trusted zone.

Thanks in advance

5. marse.robert

Hi all,

Some progress!! As the Application had worked on my system, my initial feeling was that something on my computer was not getting along with the Beta. As mentioned, I reloaded what I called a "pristine" copy of Windows and the Application again went "belly up." I then tried the remedy advanced by JeremyWW (thanks), but that did not solve the issue.

In my frustration, I reloaded the very first backup of Windows I made after registering the Copy with Microsoft. So, This copy of Windows was a complete "virgin," with only SP2 and my ISP included. That is: basic Windows drivers, no Critical Updates, Windows firewall, and nothing else.

I downloaded a fresh Beta and installed - Pow!! there was the Beta telling me that my system was secure.

Clearly, this means that somewhere amongst my diverse set of Applications, music, photographs, personal issues and a list of special tweaks lies the culprit that destroys the Beta. Could it be the security inherent in Internet Explorer 7?

How best can I approach this problem? I really don't want to reload a piece at a time and test to see if the Beta remains intact.

Anyone?

6. JeremyWW

I doubt it. In interactive mode ESS will still ask your permission on local apps trying to communicate. I have my subnet in the trusted zone, and I've been asked by the Epson print module and by a LAN chat application to allow / deny incoming traffic on my main network PC (the only one running ESS).

7. JeremyWW

I'm afraid it may be all you can do - testing often involves a painful process of elimination.

8. marse.robert

Re: Problem -Revisited

Hi all,
    My saga continues. I had the Beta working with a very basic Windows XP Pro installation. After the driver re-installation had taken place, the Beta appeared to be happy within this environment. By driver re-installation, I mean display, chipset and audio drivers.

I was now proceeding with Windows Critical Updates when I hit a "freeze." My only recourse was to power down and restart. On restarting, the first thing that appeared was the Windows notification that certain icons were hidden: simultaneously I got the Beta splash screen - then another freeze. OK! into Safe Mode with the intention of uninstalling the Beta - no dice! The Beta would not uninstall in Safe Mode. Where do I go? With Windows immediately freezing and Safe Mode passive - I had to reload a previous backup.

Surely this is not a hardware problem! It has to be the Beta! Do I try again, or bite the bullet and ditch the Beta?

9. marse.robert

Hi all,

Final: Too many glitches, too much time to test properly, the jury is out. For a Beta, the product has potential. Unfortunately, it has a long way to go.

Uninstalled with an exasperted sigh. I will wait some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.