Re-partitioning & True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dee, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Registered Member

Image both hard drives?

Using XP Pro, it has 2 h/drives, so must I image both of them?

Both h/d's have 4 partitions, & I'm going to re-size these first of all with P.Magic.

The 2nd h/d has no data/image files on it yet - except for the swapfile on its 1st partition.

So is there any need for T.I. to image the 2nd hard drive?

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Image both hard drives?

Hello dee,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would recommend that you set the paging file (did you mean this file by "swap"?)to be stored on the first disk. Then you will be able to create the image of only one disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. dee

dee Registered Member

Re: Image both hard drives?

I'm not sure of the difference between page file & swapfile, sorry, I thought it was something to do with virtual memory/RAM & I'd heard that having this on the 1st partition of the 2nd h/d would reduce fragmentation & make Windows faster, so I guess I'd better find out more about this & whether it's really necessary to have it on its own partition anyway - if so, I'll have it on the first h/drive.

Thanks for confirming that - with your proviso - I need only image the 1st h/drive.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

As I see it, if your 2nd drive is as fast or faster than your 1st (boot) drive, you will definitely gain performance by placing your paging file on the 2nd drive.

Sure, a TI image of your 1st drive won't backup the paging file on your 2nd drive, but why would you want a backup of your paging file?

~pv

5. dee

dee Registered Member

Both h/drives are new/same brand & speed.
    No I don't want a paging file backup - but if the paging file isn't on the drive being imaged, will that cause a problem?

I'm a bit confused now due to lack of knowledge.

6. pvsurfer

dee, what I've suggested reflects my system configuration (2 HDDs with paging file on 2nd HDD)... Works great and backs up great. ;)

Since your 2 drives are of the same speed, you would definitely gain an overall performance advantage by placing your paging file on the 2nd drive as long as your 2nd drive is connected to the 2nd IDE cable as the Master (do not make the 2nd drive a slave to your system drive (on the 1st IDE cable) or you will not gain any performance advantage)!

~pv

PS. Unless you need to partition (because of FAT limitations), using NTFS you might want to consider not using all of those drive partitions... while 4 partitions may serve some organizational benefits, it will hinder your system's performance!

7. dee

dee Registered Member

I'm a h/ware dunce so will have to get someone else to check 2nd drive is connected to the 2nd IDE cable as the Master. My 1st XP install, so I don't know what performance gain I'm getting.

1st h/d was partitioned partly cos it's so big, & although I'll image the whole drive for starters, I like the idea of being able to make an image of my programs/data partition & hopefully that image can be burned to just one disk. The largest partition [music/media files] should actually be on the 2nd h/d, as all these media files were copied from several DVD's. This will reduce the partitions to 3.

2nd h/d need only have 3 partitions as well - paging file, media files, & images/other backups.

I re-read the T.I user manual, & it says that T.I. does not include the paging file in its image creation, so that's a relief.

8. pvsurfer

Good idea!

As long as you understand the pros & cons... it's your call.

~pv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.