Re-installed Vista and..............

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by The Nodder, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I have re-installed Vista and ESS V4, I did this after reading a members post in a thread so I thought I'd try it.
    I only installed V4, firefox and one or two essential programs and of course I configured Vista and downloaded all the updates.

I have now been on the 'net for 2 hours and 5 minutes and I have just activated it.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello The Nodder,

Can you please provide more info on the issue?

Thank you,
    Richard

3. The Nodder

Hi Richard,
    The only things I did not do in this re-install that I did in previous installs was I did not use my registry cleaner to clean the registry and I installed all the updates from MS. My registry cleaner is RegSupreme Pro.
    the only other thing I do - and did - is use Webroot windows Washer to clear out temp files etc, I am very carefull as to what files I want deleted.
    I use O&O Defrag to defragment Windows.

In the previous installation I had installed V3, then uninstalled it & used the Reg cleaner and scoured C: for leftovers. then I installed V4. Then I got the 'net problem, could not resolve it & uninstalled it, and went back to V3 & Outpost FW.

I did that about 3 times and each time the situation got worse, e.g., Outpost was blocking some sites, I could not fix that problem. the registry was clear of any remnants of V3 & V4 as I not only used RegSupreme Pro but I manually searched the registry using RegEdit and looked for ESS, ESET, NOD32 and ekrn, it was clear.

So, that and the other poster who re-installed & got V4 working made up my mind to re-install Vista.

In this re-install I have the V4 Firewall set at Interactive.
    I left most other settings at default, because I dont know much about firewalls and I dont want to mess it up by trying this or that.

And yep, its still OK.

ASUS P5Q
    Intel DUO 8500 CPU
    Nexus 600watt PSU
    4gb Corsair DDR2 Ram
    P45 Chipset
    Realtek ALC1200 built in Audio = I only use it for Train sims.
    Radeon 4870 GTX + Graphics card
    AtherosLe_LAN V10024V21607

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

5. The Nodder

Nope, I posted this before the module became available, the date on the starter post proves that.

6. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello The Nodder,

Do you still have Outpost installed when you install ESS?

Thank you,
    Richard

7. The Nodder

Richard,
    No, in the Vista installations previous to the latest installation, I removed NOD32 and Outpost, then I used my registry Cleaner to remove the registry entries and I removed the 2 ESET folders. Sometimes I manually deleted the registry entries.
    On one occassion I installed ESS V4 over NOD32 but it was not successfull.

In the latest successfull installation I did not have Nod32 and Outpost installed, ESS V4 was a "clean" installation. I had no programs of that kind installed, I wanted an installation with no possibility of any conflicts.

All I had installed was Vista x32 Business (I use business only because the other editions have items I would not use).

As I said, I have not used my registry cleaner on this installation, though I ran it yesterday just to see how many errors were "found", it reported 394. I am not removing them because all is working great.

Just to recap, I installed Vista and set it up.
    I turned off my external modem, installed ESS V4, set it up and switched the modem on, and updated ESS, then I only installed the programs that are essential.
    I made an image using the superb Macruim Reflect program and then I installed all my other programs.

Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.