Re: hpguru's HOSTS File update (Oct 02, 2004)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lynchknot, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

This host file is causing major lag. This board seems to be using pagead2.googlesyndication.com. I need to edit the host file - I'm sure other's need to as well. Thanks.

Edit: googlesyndication.com - there are 2 entries. Many boards use this and I have experienced much lag with this and other host files.

**edited to reflect new thread.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Lynchknot i moved your post here as there is no replying in the updates forum.
    thanks
    bigc

3. lynchknot

Well, there was a reply so I replied. Just trying to help out the members here. Anyway, thanks for moving.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm sorry, but we're not using anything related to 'googlesyndication.com'. Why do you think we are? o_O

As for hpguru's file causing possible delays, if you are on XP, then look into disabling DNS Client (service in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > DNS Client - set to Disabled). That is almost always the cause of DNS delays when using a large hosts file.

5. lynchknot

Ok sorry if I assumed this board was using it but many do. There was coincidental lag at the very moment a couple other boards were lagging. Editing the host file cleared up both boards immediately because both boards are using the ads.

I have Outpost using "per app" dns - long ago. (DNS client in services disabled) - therefore it is in fact: googlesyndication.com (pays well) for those boards.

thanks LowWaterMark - :)

*valueclick is another bad one.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Wilders Security Forums is not related to any advertising service in any way.
    This forum does NOT support advertising/spyware.

7. lynchknot

erm.... Lowwatermark already made a statement. Are you not reading posts? Sorry if you did not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.