Re: AV progs & ADVAPI32.dll, CPU

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NaClmind, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaClmind

NaClmind Registered Member

Does anyone know of a good explanation of how the AVAPI32.dll is used by AV programs? I know some general stuff about this dll and it's uses. More than I want to know about abuses and kernel vulnerabilities. AntiVir triggers very heavy CPU loads during most on-demand and auto-scans. This according to Process Explorer. Somewhere I read that a cause for slow-downs in all kinds of software - not just AV - is how well or poorly this process is managed.

I'm noticing extreme CPU load with AntiVir 10. Up to 48% during contextual menu scans of various directories and files over 10 MB. It almost froze PC during 320 GB drive scan. My drives are healthy and 'SpunRite' so I'm confident it's not NTFS or surface related.

I'm over my head with this material. :doubt: If it's a real issue it may factor in to my next AV choice if Avira doesn't work out.

If I missed a thread on this I apologize in advance. I did look around.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sounds like a conflict to me. I don't use Avira 10, Tho I do have 9 installed on one of the computers. I don't see this issue on that one or on the AV I have currently installed on this laptop.

3. NaClmind

NaClmind Registered Member

Yup. Who knows what the the trouble is. Plenty of folks over at Avira are describing symptoms but root causes are hardly ever directly addressed. Im about to bail and try something else. I won't put AntiVir 10 on my dads laptop until some things are worked out.

Avast! seems like a good choice for basic users who like to set it and forget it. I like more hands-on, but that's not for everyone. I won't activate the Web-Protection (if I go with Avast!) until I learn more about the proxies that are used.
    I like simple, low-profile security systems that work. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks, Fajo.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.