Re-activate using new username and password?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by am_dew, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

I have been using the same ESS 5 Username and password for the past several years, just updating my subscription each year online via ESET. I found a very good deal online at a very reputable reseller (Newegg) this year on ESS 5, so I bought it instead of updating my subscription via ESET directly. Will I have any issues when I go to input the new Username and password into my existing ESS 5?

Thanks!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

Thanks. I guess I will have to wait and see because I don't see an obvious answer there.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ESET will not know you purchased a new license unless you activate the license.

If you purchase from a ESET reseller or ESET, there are no such questions.

5. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

OK -- again, I think i will have to see what I get from Newegg. If a new Username and password is provided, then I will be good because that seems to be the only option I have with my current install, otherwise I am not clear on what I will need to do. I just hope it does not involve a uninstall/re-install.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

Thanks Ron.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

When your current subscription expires, go ahead and generate a new username and password by entering the activation key from the retail, boxed version of ESET Smart Security that you purchased from NewEgg using the form on this page. When done, you will have a new username and password.

Go back to your desktop and open the ESET user interface. Press Ctrl+U to bring up the License Details dialog, and enter your new username and password, and click on OK to commit the change.

You can then verify the new license has taken effect by selecting Help and Support in the left navigation pane and selecting Verify license validity in the right pane.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

Thank you very much Aryeh. Will I have any issues submitting my information on the link you provided because I am already licensed?

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not at all i do this all the time it simply adds the new key to your info.

11. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

Very good -- thanks.

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I haven't tried this myself, but it should be the equivalent of adding a new license (not a renewal, but a new one) to your customer profile.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

it is a new license - and I am surprised that even with a discount, that a new license could be cheaper than a renewal license. The NewEgg "deal" I found for a 3-user new is exactly the same as a 3-user renewal.. which is electronic and keeps the username the same.

The 1-user boxed new was $5 MORE than the renewal via electronic means on our website.

If there ends up being shipping and waiting for a box, I don't see how a retail box is any sort of improvement or cheaper....

14. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

Well, I paid $32 (USD) for a 3 User retail box from Newegg, which included shipping and tax. A 2 license renewal on ESET's site would have cost me $52.99. As far as waiting for a box, I'm not in a rush since my current licenses don't expire until Dec 21. Last year, after I had already bought my renewal via ESET I found a similar deal at a local Fry's store and I called ESET Customer Service to see if they would match the price, but they refused, so this year I waited for a deal at Newegg or Fry's. ESET would be smart to price match IMHO but I suppose either way, they get their revenue.

15. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

$32 is a real deal - I a not surprised they wouldn't match - why would they? They got paid for that boxed version already - it doesn't matter if you buy it from Newegg or not - ESET collected payment when it was sold TO NewEgg

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i wait for them to hit 20$ on newegg for ess 3pc boxed versions. they do this deal a few times a year usually as a shell shocker deal...they go to 19.95 or 19.99. i grabbed one that was free about a month ago after rebate and already got my rebate. needless to say i have MANY stocked up :D ... i only have a few av's i REALLY like and personally use and ess is one of my top 2.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.