RD not logging any of its' actions, at all?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by spy1, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Is that a trial version thing, or is something wrong here? Pete

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What version are you using and unless I'm mistaken....it only logs Blocked occurences. Have you selected any Blocked alerts and which Group category ?

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  3. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi Pete :).

Bubba is correct in that RegDefend will only log Blocked occurrences ie: unauthorized READS/MODIFICATIONS on keys/values that are protected...like in the screenshot.

Regards,
    Jade.

Attached Files:

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

No, sorry - I just thought it would log every choice you made. I'm still at the "responding to alerts" phase here.

The one this morning looked a little funny, though - I just wish I could go back and examine it (was doing a quick check of my email before taking wife to dentist). It happened at start-up this morning.

It was something about - er, um - something! - and I just quickly "okayed" it before checking email and walking out the door. (And, yes, I do know better :doubt: ).

IOW, a straight-out copy of each and every alert or request received in a log (with the same exact wording as was in the pop-up window itself) would be very useful to me. Pete

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  5. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

i wish it could log all changes/reads to the registry so I can monitor registry entries made/used by applications. :(

6. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi guys,

Logging for Allows and ALSO an additional Monitoring function is currently in beta testing and will be included in the next release if all goes well ;)

Best regards,
    Jade.

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

That's great, Wowserman! Tell Mason I said "Thankee kindly!" Pete

8. tayasimggg

tayasimggg Registered Member

======================================
    Translation to english :

Hey everyone, i use RegDefend which works very well, however, when i want to unblock certain paths in the registry, i always have to restart my computer in order for the unblocking to take effect, even restarting RegDefend doesn't help.
    Is there some kind of a refresh function in the program i could use?
    The biggest problem is when i try to install other programs which need access to the registry, and they fail to work, because all access is blocked.

I tried using Registry Mechanic 4 which i do periodically, just to be safe, and what it did is just deleted all the blocked registry paths because apparently he defined them "invalid keys", after which i had to reinstall windows because a lot of the registry got deleted and nothing worked, including windows.

So is there any way to refresh the registry blocking settings without restarting my comp?

thanks.
    =======================================

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  9. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

tayasimggg,
    I know you have mentioned elsewhere that expressing yourself in english isn't particularly easy for you but do you possibly have a friend that could help you translate ?

One way you could try to possibly make it easier, is to try expressing each question in simple terms and not trying to write in paragraphs. That way at least we could see that you have 3 or 4 issues and be able to take an educated guess at what you might mean

Taking a stab at what I can recognise out of your questions above...

It sounds like you are trying to stop RegDefend alerts by disabling groups or "turning off" regdefend
    The best thing to do is to leave the RegDefend GUI running and disable the groups if you are having an issue and you think that it is RegDefend, no restarts should be necessary, but they shouldn't hurt....

You might want to be a little more specific here, it is hard to help with this level of detail. A description like below could help us help you a little more

• RegDefend was installed and running with all the default groups enabled
    • I added an entry to my own group
      • hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\internet explorer\activex compatibility\* | * | Value
    • after that my 3 party application called PacMan gave the error "cannot find default directory, possible installation error"
    • I think this is because RegDefend has blocked access to part of the registry
    Once again, you loaded a "registry fixer of some kind"?, specifically which one did you use and what did you tell it to do ?
    It seems a trifle optimistic that a registry fixer would somehow know what your issues are and in any case these tools should be used cautiously and run in checking mode before you let them go ahead and potentially damage your registry (which as you have seen can cause you to have to reinstall windows)

That is certainly one way to solve your problem, I'm not sure it is the one that I would choose. In addition to operations (installing programs?) that you are performing on your computer many programs write to areas in the registry as part of the normal operation of windows.

I hope we can (eventually) help you with whatever issue or issues you are having and that the language barrier doesn't prove to be too high...

10. tayasimggg

tayasimggg Registered Member

Ok, thanx. (i took your advise and asked a friend of mine who ROCKS in english ;) to help me out).

By the way, my advice for today -
    dont ever use partition magic because it can be very destructive if you even make the slightest mistake.

My 120gb hd that was in perfectly good shape (according to spinrite 6) is now all gone and can not be either formated or even detected at all,
    all becauce of partition magic.
    All I wanted was to expand a partition from 6 to 10 gb.

Thanx guys, and hopefully this will be easier to read ^_^.

Last edited: May 7, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.