RD & Host

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Rico, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Regarding a way to help protect my host file. Okay how do I do this, like click whereo_O

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Hi Rico, if you're using the Standard RD Ruleset the protection will already appear in the 'Networking Protection' Global Rules section.

If you are using an imported ruleset, then it is just a question of confirming its presence (I'm sure it must be in the Tony ruleset somewhere, but I don't have it loaded to check). Just click the 'Configure' button on the GUI, then double click 'Key' under 'All Registry Rules'. This should sort all your Rules into sequence so you can scroll down and find the one you want.

The layout in RD 2.001 (which I am using) is slightly different from the suite with AD/RD together, so I can't be too precise about where to click in your version in case it is different! :)

Attached Files:

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Topper,

Thank you for the help!

I'm using Tony's rules & found. See pic. RD does not alert when I update my hosts file.

Thanks Again & Take Care
    Rico

Attached Files:

• rd1.jpg
      rd1.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:
  4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No it won't alert when you edit your Hosts file because it is not protecting that aspect of things. What that Reg value does is store the file path to your Hosts File; if the file path was changed by malware it would be possible for a bogus file, at another location, to be used in substitute for the original.

There would be no point in locking down and protecting your Hosts File if it could be sidestepped in this way; that is why the Registry protection is necessary.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Topper,

Thank you very much, for your time & making it understandable, to me. Now thats scary!

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.