RC1 of Antivir Premium w/ Firewall released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kdm31091, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Just dropped Antivir again, after having problems with the Mailguard. It does not show the incoming & scanned mails anymore and nobody seems to react on that......so, made my decision easy again: back to Nod32 and I'll drop Avira for the time being and see what happens with the final release on the Suite.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nothing wrong with that since nod32 is a fliping good av IMO.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Avira is such a fine AV, that it is frustrating to experience some of the problems. I hope there will be some changes that will permit me to go back to it.

In the meantime I am using the CHIP trial of F-Secure. It is heavier, but runs well for me.

Best,
    Jerry

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Been using the Avira premium suite RC1 for a few days now and its running great, very light and doesn't interfere with my gaming. I am shocked to hear about the pricing of it tho, i was thinking current premium subscribers would be able to use their current license with it, but obviously not. In no way does the added firewall justify the extra cost. A user would be much better off using antivir premium combined with comodo.

5. smustaca

smustaca AV Expert

Hi,
    A couple of questions:
    Have you tested the RC1 of the Security Suite ?
    What kind of problems do you have with Mailguard ?
    Where did you write about your problems ?

Let me know as many details as possible and we'll find a solution.

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I dropped AntiVir PE Premium because their support is terrible. I sent an e-mail to them over a week ago concerning my license key, and never received a reply. Not even an acknowledgment that they received my e-mail. Even Symantec gives you some sort of reply.

7. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Graystoke: are you sure you sent it to the correct address? If I am not mistaken you get an autoreply by their support as soon as they receive the mail.

8. Graystoke

I got the address from someone at the AntiVir forum. I don't know if it was a correct address or not. I just figured it was the correct one since it was from someone at the forum.

9. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I'm pissed off about it. I really don't wanna pay that kind of money for a firewall that's fairly basic anyway. Bye bye Avira.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what ya gonna use instead?

11. kdm31091

I dunno, probably go back to freeware, probably free Avast! No it's not watertight but with Comodo and Cyberhawk alongside it, it should be good enough...Avira just totally ripped us off here and I won't forgive them. Especially for me who bought the Premium less then 2 months ago, I have to pay the price all over again just for a firewall...no.

12. smustaca

smustaca AV Expert

Please write to avpe@avira.com.
    I can guarantee that you will receive an answer. ;)

13. Graystoke

That is the address I used, but I will give it another try.

14. kdm31091

I'm just so disgusted with Avira right now..

15. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Also tested the RC1 of the Security Suite and had the same thing, all of a sudden the mails were not shown anymore as being scanned. I uninstalled the RC1 and installed the paid Premium and had the same thing. So, something must be missing somewhere. I posted this at the Premium Avira forum. I uninstalled the whole thing, as I am tired of all that fiddling around and went back to Nod32. I will be installing the Suite again when it is final and only if I will be able to do so with my present license for the Premium. In the meantime I might try the paid version again, just to see if Mailguard is working, but I need a solution first.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes, I have to say, as lodores half brother, my time has come. It has been 2 days and it is time to jump on another bandwagon, and another reformat. Antivir is not compatible with A LOT of software. Now it is AVG antispyware. Seems their guard doesnt like it. First Prevx1 now this. I cant go on sucking up. Good people who will one day have a good suite. It sure as hell isnt worth what they will be asking for it. We told them this, they tried to add ham and spam and it didnt work right. I still say the FPs will be the kicker at AV comparitives next month. The reality is, the only current good suites are KIS and NIS. You may not like it, but that is the reality. I am holding on with my dear life to my Nod rights and praying they can deliver. Most are developing for Vista, Avira just became compatible with XP. So lodore, you go Nod, I go Kas, and somewhere we will meet.;)

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi smustaca,

I cannot say that I am disgusted with Avira. It is a fine AV.
    However, a couple of problems are inherent with all versions. They are in each of the forums and the beta also.

One is the icon not showing in the tray. Whether the guard is active or not, it is disconcerting to see that the icon is not there. I think we would agree that it is not supposed to work that way.

A second is the guard not being active at start. The umbrella remains closed, and if the cursor is placed over the icon it states that the guard is not active. However, if one opens a dropdown with a right click it shows the guard as active. The only way to open the umbrella is to then deactivate the guard and then activate it.

I became frustrated trying to get it to work, and finally having gone through the Classic, Premium, and AV + Firewall beta, I am back to another AV.

All it requires is to examine the forums and see that those problems and updating problems are not one user problems.

I like Avira, and admire the detection rates, but there are others essentially as good without the problems.

I do realize that all AVs have problems, but Avira just did not work for me. I wish it had, and maybe in time, assuming those problems are fixed, it will work.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, you do realize I just blew my 5 year free license to the suite, to be honest.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

both nod and kav and kis are great software.
    both have great records.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi trjam,

Now I hate to learn that. I mean, after all, if it is free, I would use it no matter how much trouble. I would just go ahead and get ulcers to save some money. o_O

NOW, don't offer me your license, or I might have to back down. Give it to Lodore, he is a glutton for punishment.:D :D
    I tend to give up on computer stuff pretty quickly.

Best,
    Jerry

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Man, glad I am not like that. It would be nice to see Paul start a new forum,"Donated Licences". I have a ton that I will never use, and all say for one PC as long as it isnt mine. It would be nice to help some who cant, for whatever reason, enjoy some great software. oh, well, Christmas is a coming.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

free is good lol.

if your happy with kis 6.0 keep with it.

i cant be bothered to mess around with kav or kis.
    so im gonna get nod32+look n stop. i need a antispyware but i have no idea what?

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I heard cpunterspy isnt bad.:eek:

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i tryed that today and it didnt like my dads account IMO.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The version 2.0 is much improved. It is lighter, and runs well with my other applications. My license is for several more months. I do not know if I will renew since I have the SAS license.

I wish there were some really good comparative tests. Few agree on what a real world test is. I can understand that if an application includes harmless cookies, then it will show a lot of detection as opposed to one that ignores them and concentrates on more harmful malware.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.